"Save" Function on Riven

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

wstrohm

"Save" Function on Riven

Post by wstrohm »

I was adequately warned by your error message that Riven is a work in progress. I just wanted to let you know how Riven runs under ScummVM on my PPC PowerMac 2.7 GHz dual-cpu G5 (early 2005 model) under Mac OS X 10.4.11.

First, FYI my Riven game runs perfectly under Classic, and "Save" works fine.

Second, Riven runs perfectly when opened by ScummVM. Everything in the game, cut scenes, all graphics, audio, etc. works flawlessly, except for the following:

After pressing F5 and getting the ScummVM "Save" dialog box, naming an intended saved game, and then pressing "Save" kicks this Mac out of the game and returns to the Finder. There is no saved game either on my hard drive or showing up under the file name I chose in the ScummVM saved games list. Re-opening ScummVM shows no listing for the "saved" game.

Do you plan to finish work on Riven in the near future? Or is that on the back burner?

Thanks!
clone2727
Retired

Re: "Save" Function on Riven

Post by clone2727 »

wstrohm wrote:Second, Riven runs perfectly when opened by ScummVM. Everything in the game, cut scenes, all graphics, audio, etc. works flawlessly, except for the following:
Definitely not flawlessly!
wstrohm wrote:After pressing F5 and getting the ScummVM "Save" dialog box, naming an intended saved game, and then pressing "Save" kicks this Mac out of the game and returns to the Finder. There is no saved game either on my hard drive or showing up under the file name I chose in the ScummVM saved games list. Re-opening ScummVM shows no listing for the "saved" game.
It works here. Could you give us output from the Console (or by running it from the Terminal)?
wstrohm wrote:Do you plan to finish work on Riven in the near future? Or is that on the back burner?
I'll work on it when I work on it. Pegasus took priority.
wstrohm

Post by wstrohm »

"Definitely not flawlessly?" It is as good as running Riven under Classic, except I don't have to open Classic at all!

Here is an excerpt from the Console log after attempting a "Save" in Riven under ScummVM, and being kicked back to the Finder:

----------------------------
Console Help
User picked target 'riven-win-1' (gameid 'mohawk')...
Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Mohawk
Starting 'Mohawk Game'
../../src-master/src/backends/fs/posix/posix-fs.cpp:105: failed assertion `!n.contains('/')'
Thanks for your help!

P.S. I included the date in the filename of the saved game. Is that a problem?
Last edited by wstrohm on Sat May 04, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

wstrohm wrote:"Definitely not flawlessly?" It is as good as running Riven under Classic, except I don't have to open Classic at all!
No, there's a lot of graphical glitches. And no transitions. And a couple missing hardcoded bits. And no sound fading. :wink:
wstrohm wrote:----------------------------
Console Help
User picked target 'riven-win-1' (gameid 'mohawk')...
Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Mohawk
Starting 'Mohawk Game'
../../src-master/src/backends/fs/posix/posix-fs.cpp:105: failed assertion `!n.contains('/')'
Thanks for your help!
What name are you trying to save it as? Try a name without a slash in it.
wstrohm

Post by wstrohm »

Yep, that was it. The Save Game filename cannot have a forward slash. Don't get it, but now Save works fine.

I haven't seen any graphical glitches or heard (on my Bose computer speakers) any problems at all with the sounds, but have no idea what "hardcoded bits" are. Transitions are fine, although there is no adjustment for the speed of transitions, as far as I can see.

BTW, on my Mac, accessing the Save dialog requires control-F5, not just F5. And, although ScummVM has not posted any listing of Riven that I could find on either your Wiki or in your forums, apparently my copying of Riven files from my CD-ROMs to my hard disk has been successful for both Riven.app and for ScummVM. It was really a bummer changing CDs when changing islands.

Before finding ScummVM, I had used instructions from Ricard Kelly of New Zealand to be able to play Riven on my HD:

from Ricard Kelly
ricard.kelly@lanscape.co.nz

"...you copy the MHK files from the data directory on each of the CDs to the data directory of the installed application (eg: C:\Program Files\Riven\data)." [Since I have a Mac, I simply drag the MHK files into the "Data" folder in the "Riven Folder" on my hard disk. -- Bill]

"Then edit the "riven.cfg" file in C:\Program Files\Riven so that in each section that looks like:

[ospit] Disc = 5
File_0 = "data/o_data.mhk"
File_1 = "data/o_sounds.mhk"

the "Disc" line reads Disc = 0

Assuming that you have a PC of course. I don't know how similar a Mac would be..." [Exactly the same for the Mac. -- Bill]

"Ricard"
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

wstrohm wrote:I haven't seen any graphical glitches or heard (on my Bose computer speakers) any problems at all with the sounds, but have no idea what "hardcoded bits" are. Transitions are fine, although there is no adjustment for the speed of transitions, as far as I can see.
What? The transitions aren't present at all. It just draws the next card.
wstrohm wrote:BTW, on my Mac, accessing the Save dialog requires control-F5, not just F5.
The ScummVM menu is ctrl+f5, yes. We don't implement the keys for the Riven menus at all.
wstrohm wrote:And, although ScummVM has not posted any listing of Riven that I could find on either your Wiki or in your forums, apparently my copying of Riven files from my CD-ROMs to my hard disk has been successful for both Riven.app and for ScummVM. It was really a bummer changing CDs when changing islands.
It's on the wiki. We don't use riven.cfg at all.
wstrohm

Post by wstrohm »

I guess "drawing the next card" is to me a transition... sorry if I don't know the jargon. Anyway, Riven works fine for me now that I have the Save filename format correct.

Thanks for the Wiki link... I missed that. I also tried to find both Riven and Myst Masterpiece in your "Compatibility" list, but saw neither there.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

wstrohm wrote:I also tried to find both Riven and Myst Masterpiece in your "Compatibility" list, but saw neither there.
In general, only games that are fully supported make the list :wink:

The transitions are things like dissolves when moving forward and the pans when turning (same as in Pegasus).
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Is the sound still missing from the Catherine cutscenes?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:Is the sound still missing from the Catherine cutscenes?
No.