Dreamweb crashing

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Raygunbrown

Dreamweb crashing

Post by Raygunbrown »

Hello

Downloaded the UK version of Dreamweb. Initially it crashed right after the intro sequence but before the opening credits. I changed the aspect ratio and then changed the graphics mode to 2x. After that, it now crashes aftetr the opening credits. Keeps happening no matter what I do.

I'm using Mac OS and this happens with both the UK and US versions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Also, thanks for uploading Dreamweb int he first place! :D
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Out of curiosity, is this when running ScummVM in fullscreen or windowed mode? (The game changes resolution back and forth a few times during the intro.)
Raygunbrown

Post by Raygunbrown »

eriktorbjorn wrote:Out of curiosity, is this when running ScummVM in fullscreen or windowed mode? (The game changes resolution back and forth a few times during the intro.)
Both. All the problems I described above happened in fullscreen mode. Then just now I tried unchecking full screen mode. Tried with/without aspect ratio correction on/off and graphics mode 2x/3x. Same thing.

Once the word DREAMWEB appears after all the credits, ScummVM just shuts down.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

There was some discussion on the ScummVM IRC channel yesterday, but unfortunately no solution yet. Apparently the one who tried it could only reproduce the crash with the official ScummVM build, not the one he built for himself. Which of course makes debugging that much harder.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Raygunbrown: This bug has been reported before as bug #3553538 "DREAMWEB: Crash after intro on OS X 10.8.0" which is still open: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=418820

The bug comments track our current investigation. However, this seems only to be happening with the v1.5.0 release build, so a workaround in the meantime would be for you to use the v1.6.0git development nightly builds for OSX from here:
http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html

Note the warning regarding these builds here:
http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#daily

If this works, then please confirm here. Also, if this also crashes, then it would be useful to get a gdb backtrace or similar. As the bug indicates, we have been unable to get a backtrace from a build with debug symbols exhibiting the problem. Thanks.
somnolentsurfer

Post by somnolentsurfer »

Using the release version of 1.6.0 on OS X 10.8.4, I get a crash to desktop just after the guy in the intro releases the floaty blue orb.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

somnolentsurfer: Thank you for reporting this.. Sigh. I will update the bug... It looks like the LLVM compiler being used by the porter has some kind of nasty bug and we need to avoid this and/or switch to a less buggy compiler.
Sneakers8b

Post by Sneakers8b »

I love scummvm to pieces, but just download boxer it's free and it's nice to have when your game isn't working with scumm.

Just google boxer app

I'm currently playing it right now, mine was crashing right after he released the orb as well. So far so good, hopefully happy playing!