Disabling the Dreamcast autosave?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Who'sThere

Disabling the Dreamcast autosave?

Post by Who'sThere »

Is there any option, method, or edit that can be done to disable auto-saves in the Dreamcast port?

Being that the games need to be read off of compact discs, the auto-save interrupts really slows thing down.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Set autosave period to 0.

Eugene
Who'sThere

Post by Who'sThere »

There is no option to do that on the DC.

Could you or anyone else recommend a tutorial to compile the source code using Windows(Vista preferably)?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

If you're talking about compilation in order to set autosave, then it is not needed. You may find autosave period on "Misc" tab in options dialog in ScummVM launcher.

Eugene
Who'sThere

Post by Who'sThere »

Sorry, I'm still not seeing it. I thought for a minute that my TV was missing the very edge of the display area, and that it might be hidden there.

But no such luck. The only option is to load any recognized games. Either from the same disc, or after a swap. Does Marcus Comstedt still maintain the Dreamcast port, or has it fallen to other programmers?

I found this on the forums here: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=170&
I'm not sure if this would work with the latest build though, and I'd still have the issue of compiling on a Windows OS.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

I'm not quite familiar with DC port, perhaps it does not have our GUI enabled. In this case you need to add "autosave_period=0" to scummvm.ini

Eugene
Who'sThere

Post by Who'sThere »

Thanks for the replies.

The Dreamcast port only comes in a binary form like the 1st_read.bin or scumm.bin, and the additonal plugins for each game like the scumm.plg for Lacasart games, or the gob.plg for the gobliiins engine.

There isn't an .ini file, at least not in the last couple versions released.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Well, then only thing you may do at the time being is to really add that to the sources.

Also I recommend to file a feature request for adding this option to our in-game global menu.

Eugene
Who'sThere

Post by Who'sThere »

Okay thanks.

There isn't a global menu option in the DC port, so I'm not sure if I put the request in the right format?... :oops:

Could someone take a look? It's under "Who-sThere" username.

In fact the only ScummVM menu accessible is the one where you select which game to load, and that means "load", no audio or video options, just straight to game load.

If someone has a method to compile ScummVM in Windows, could they give a tutorial link maybe?
Who'sThere

Post by Who'sThere »

I didn't want to start a new thread for this question, so here goes.

The request I made to the tracker has "disappeared", so I'm wondering if that signifies anything?

Like go away and don't bother us...

Yeah, yeah, we're doing all we can...

Yep,coming out next update...

:?:
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Who'sThere wrote:The request I made to the tracker has "disappeared", so I'm wondering if that signifies anything?
This one?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Who'sThere wrote: The request I made to the tracker has "disappeared", so I'm wondering if that signifies anything?
You really should provide a working e-mail in your sf.net profile. You got an e-mail once the ticket was closed.

Eugene
Who'sThere

Post by Who'sThere »

Sorry, hadn't checked my e-mail in a while. Thanks for all the help.

It's too bad about the DoTT needing it though. :(
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Who'sThere wrote: It's too bad about the DoTT needing it though. :(
I don't believe any game needs the auto-save feature. I mean, why should they? As Fingolfin mentions in his comment to the feature request, some games will create temporary save games at certain points, but that's unrelated.