ScummVM Supporting more Larry games in future?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Murdock

ScummVM Supporting more Larry games in future?

Post by Murdock »

Hello,

first of all, THANK YOU ScummVM Programmers for all ur work ... I always loved those nice games, made with all those famous engines (as 99 % of those ppl. registered here I suppose).

As u can imagine, I got a question :)

I saw that ScummVM supports Leisure Suite Larry since version 9 (I think, right?). I found an old thread dating back to about Feb 2006 where s/o said no sierra games will be supported but now u seem to do ... :) I think it's a very good decision, because ScummVM worx on so many platforms.

But r u planning to support the "newer" Larry Laffer" games? I mean Leisure Suite Larry 3,4,5 & 6 (maybe even 7?).

If not, could u rethink about this? :)

Thx for ur kind answer in advance.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Larry I is supported since 0.10.0. The "newer" Larry games are all based on an engine called "SCI" which we don't support and for which we have no active plans to add support. You could take a look at the "FreeSCI" project instead, which is working on that engine.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Thank you for the fast reply.

This is kind of disappointing to hear, because I liked those games very much.

I saw in the old post that there are alternatives, I even visited the website u recommend here again. But they do not provide a PSP version of their program.

Is there any reason why u don'T want to support this engine in the (maybe far) future?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I didn't say that we will never ever support it.

But what purpose would it have to state that "it is not impossible that one day, maybe tomorrow or maybe in 10 years, we might potentially add support for SCI" ? Of course it is not impossible, neither is it impossible that tomorrow Bill Gates decides to donate 500 million dollars to us so that we can buy the rights to all LucasArts and Sierra adventures and release them as freeware, including source code :-).
kosuan

Post by kosuan »

One day Master Lu visited the Gouverneur of Li Chong in his house.
The Gouverneur took the opportunity and asked Master Lu:
'I have a statue in my house which sometimes stands up and sometimes lies down.
Is it possible to carve this statue into an image of a buddha?'
Master Lu answered: 'It is possible' .
The Gouverneur then asked him: 'But is it also impossible?'
to which Master Lu replied: 'Yes, it is impossible, it is impossible.

(ancient story, ko.) :wink:
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

fingolfin wrote:Of course it is not impossible, neither is it impossible that tomorrow Bill Gates decides to donate 500 million dollars to us so that we can buy the rights to all LucasArts and Sierra adventures and release them as freeware, including source code :-).
I'm gonna be dissapointed tomorrow now...
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

okay, okay, I got it ... :(

But do ya have a reason for this? I mean like u wanna implement certain engines first? Or are u working on certain bugs that u wanna get out of the app?

I mean what r u working on atm ... or mustn't u talk about this? :)
clem

Post by clem »

Murdock wrote:But do ya have a reason for this? I mean like u wanna implement certain engines first? Or are u working on certain bugs that u wanna get out of the app?

I mean what r u working on atm ... or mustn't u talk about this? :)
this is open source - if someone writes the engine implementation and submits it I don't think it'll be shot down

the choice which engines get implemented lies with the individual programmers, the reason for no SCI implementation might be that nobody is interested enough to do it...

as for what people are working on - you could read the scummvm-devel mailing list or lurk on IRC freenode.net #scummvm
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Most importantly, read the relevant questions in our FAQ!

Adding an engine is heaps and heaps of hard work. We aren't a company working on extending our reach or customerbase -- in particular, we don't have any particular "plans" to add engines in a particular order. Just as clem stated: If somebody for some reason decides that he would like to work on something, he is free to do it. And if nobody ever decides to work on SCI support -- well that's just how it is.

In particular, it could very well happen that we never ever again get to add an engine, simply because nobody does so. If that's the case, so be it. Nothing is impossible :)
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

okay, thank you anyway. Then I'll just keep hoping that any1 implements this special engine ... I think there r enough ppl that were very thankfull if s/o decided to implement it :)
bushwakko

why not merge the freesci project

Post by bushwakko »

why not merge the freesci project with scumm then? scumm is a great platform, containing mt-32 emu and lots of stuff. I love to have all my games on one place.
oduverne

Re: why not merge the freesci project

Post by oduverne »

bushwakko wrote:why not merge the freesci project with scumm then? scumm is a great platform, containing mt-32 emu and lots of stuff. I love to have all my games on one place.
Look at this: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=1979
clem

Re: why not merge the freesci project

Post by clem »

bushwakko wrote:I love to have all my games on one place.
in that case I'd suggest deleting ScummVM and installing DOSBox :]
Collector

Post by Collector »

There is almost no SCI DOS game that does not run easily in DOSBox. There are a couple of Windows only games, but not that many. As much as I love the Sierra games, I'm not impatient for a ScummVM/Free SCI merger because of how easy this is.

The only Sierra family games that are consistently problematic in DOSBox are the Coktel Vision CD games. Now with the wonderful work of DrMcCoy, this is becoming moot. If I haven't said so, yet, thank you DrMcCoy.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Collector wrote:Now with the wonderful work of DrMcCoy, this is becoming moot. If I haven't said so, yet, thank you DrMcCoy.
*bows*