SonyEricsson P1i - Loom Laggy Sound Solution - OGG problem

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

gunbaum

SonyEricsson P1i - Loom Laggy Sound Solution - OGG problem

Post by gunbaum »

Hi there,
after using ScummVM for a while on the PC i recently got a SE P1i.

Nearly every game went really nice. As i tried to get the Loom CD version to work on my P1i i was really annoyed at first.
Every time a new sound sequence (even the normal tones c,d,e) should be played the game lagged half a second or more.

So i played around with the mp3 bitrates - from 128kbps (big delay) down to 32kbps (smaller delay).

For Ripping to wave you can either use CDex or another programm which extracts this 530~MB wav data.

But finally i found the optimal solution - OGG.
Get yourself CDex for example here
http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sour ... ex_151.zip

- goto options-settings (or F4)
- select encoder "OGG Vorbis__blabla"
- uncheck "use quality settings"
- select mono
- check on the fly (i think it's optional)
- select 64kbps as minimal, nominal and maximum bitrate

if you got a wav file then click - convert - convert wave to compressed audio files (or F11)

if you got the CD in your drive push the button on the right "extract cd tracks to compressed audio files"

AFTER THAT you should recieve a ~23MB ogg file which should be named "track1.ogg". Put it into the Loom folder and enjoy the fine game.

Hope that someone can use that piece of Information.

best regards!

*gunbaum

and if you got questions about converting anything else check this awesome FAQ from SIRDAVE
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... =loom+slow

EDIT: i was a little bit too quick - there seems to be a problem with the ogg vorbis implementation with loom.
when there are played too many sounds too quick - scummvm crashes. on the first crash it stated something like "rate exceed - and a number around 633"

instead use a 32kbps mp3 file than ogg file - until this is resolved