Wanted: Photoshop/GIMP skills (beginner/intermediate level)

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

Wanted: Photoshop/GIMP skills (beginner/intermediate level)

Post by sev »

As you may know, we maintain set of game screenshots on our site. Since 0.12.0 will have number of new games supported, the collection has to be updated.

escalrate did a good job and submitted big quantities of the shots to patch tracker, which I find a good quality. Moreover, he supplied a category icons for number of the games.

However, there is a little problem with his submission. The category icons cannot be used directly as they lack proper shadow effect. I can easily add it, but I need that the icons would be drawn over transparent background (partial transparency and antialiasing are welcome). Unfortunately he seems to be unreachable at this moment.

Hence we are seeking someone who would clean up those category icons (find them here) and probably draw missing ones. You of course, will be properly credited in our contributors list.

If you volunteer, drop a line in this thread, so we will not have a doubled efforts.

Eugene
Last edited by sev on Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

I'd do it, I submitted the Touché screens and cat icon a while ago and I've been doing work in icon editing in GIMP for a while as well.

What shadowing exactly do you want? I think especially the higher res icons will be a pain to shrink but I'll try anyway.

Edit: Here a first try on the Drascula icon. Should all the other ones look like that too? Is that enough shadows? It's hard not to ruin the icon with too much shadow. I just wanted to give it a slight contrast from the background.

http://i34.tinypic.com/fm7wi8.jpg
Last edited by meist3r on Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

I need no shadowing effect. I need clean icons on transparent background. Then I paste them into a photoshop file produced by our web site designer and copy effects from already existing icons there.

Of course that will not work well when background is not transparent, i.e the "shadowed emboss" effect will be applied over square, not over the icon shape.

Eugene
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

sev wrote:I need no shadowing effect. I need clean icons on transparent background.
I can just clean the icons and upload them in png. What's the best resolution to put this into? The bigger icons (especially elvira) need some reworking.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Resolution is irrelevant, the final ones will be not more than 20x25 pixels. So anything which scales down well to that size being recognizable, or even already scaled down images. Everything will work.

Eugene
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

OK I got em up there:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.p ... tid=418822

Tell me what you think. I had to redesign some of the icon shapes to fit but they are still recognizable I think.

Edit: I just read the original post again and which ones are missing? Can you give me a list of those that still need to be done? I'll do it but right now I wouldn't know how to tell which ones are to be released.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Thanks to Scarlatti and meist3r now everything up to date :)

Eugene