May I include ScummVM into my Monkey Island Collection?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ludacris

May I include ScummVM into my Monkey Island Collection?

Post by Ludacris »

Hi development team,

I am currently picking together my Monkey Island disks and riping them as they are getting quite scratched (after having them for more than 10 years now) and making one collection with MI and some goodies, I found over the internet.
Anyway, to play those, you need ScummVM, as we all know.

So, may I include it to the Disk?

Thanks in advance for your support

Ludacris
Jade

Post by Jade »

scummvm can't be bundled with copyrighted material, note i am not on the dev team but due to the seriousness in which such matters are handled here i am certain that is the case
Ludacris

Post by Ludacris »

Aww :( a pitty :( :(
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

So long as it's for your personal use only it's not a problem that involves the SCUMMVM team. But then any backup made of original discs such as that example you're not allowed to share the backups regardless, doing so becomes an act of piracy from the moment you made the dupe.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Here is the official answer: :)

ScummVM itself is free software. You can do everything you want to do with it, just provide the sources. As of the LucasArts games, those are copyrighted, and you're not allowed to distribute copies of them.

Eugene
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Hey Sev you thanks your explanation is probably clearer to people. I've spent too long in the case documents again. :oops: