Which game versions are the best?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

trondah

Which game versions are the best?

Post by trondah »

We all know there is many different versions of the games that run under ScummVM. Some are made for PC, some for Mac some for Amiga or something else entirely. Some have talkie versions or CD Audio and the likes. Some of these might work better in ScummVM than others.

Let's take "The Secret of Monkey Island" for instance. The version that comes with "Monkey Island Madness" has great CD Audio and an updated interface. You'd want that instead of the old DOS version with adlib sound.

Now what would be useful is a list of differences between versions, so when hunting on e-bay we could get the game that gives us the best experience.

Is there such a list somewhere? Perhaps someone have done a bit of research in this area?
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Which game versions are the best?

Post by DrMcCoy »

trondah wrote:Let's take "The Secret of Monkey Island" for instance. The version that comes with "Monkey Island Madness" has great CD Audio and an updated interface. You'd want that instead of the old DOS version with adlib sound.
Actually, no. I'd rather have the AdLib sound. Or even the PC Speaker. :)

And that's exactly the problem: What constitutes as "best" is completely subjective.
trondah

Post by trondah »

I like to think of it as the "better" version, and then there's the "old version with weird beeps that are supposed to be music". Disregard nostalgia and it's an easy choice.

I played these games on C64 and Amiga, yet I prefer newer CD Audio or MT-32 emulation, and the enhanced graphics of some FMTOWNS versions.

Are you with me or do I sound like I drank green stuff from the river? :)
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

trondah wrote:I like to think of it as the "better" version, and then there's the "old version with weird beeps that are supposed to be music". Disregard nostalgia and it's an easy choice.
Completely disregarding nostalgia, it's an easy choice alright. For the PC speaker.
trondah wrote:Are you with me or do I sound like I drank green stuff from the river? :)
Neither. You sound like you don't know what's Truly Great™. :P
laffer

Post by laffer »

I never liked the PC speaker.. it was a big setback for me, quality wise, when I first got a PC.

I'd owned a C64 and Amiga prior and both those machines have much better sound than the PC speaker is capable of.

So I don't have a lot of nostalgia for the PC speaker.. I got a soundcard almost immediately after hearing it back then :p

However, the PC speaker version of the Zak intro tune is kinda catchy :D
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

There are already several threads on this very subject, you may want to search for them. So the usual result is that it turns out that most people can't agree on what is the "best" version, for purely subjective reasons. And for them it's really extremly difficult, like the Loom CD vs. Loom FM-TOWNS -- one has better audio but shortened text, the other better graphics, so which one is better?
laffer

Post by laffer »

I prefer the FM Towns version, I want all the text :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

laffer wrote:I prefer the FM Towns version, I want all the text :)
I prefer the DOS versions, because they were affordable. :)

Acrually, there is at least one scene in the talkie version that has been expanded compared to the floppy version. I'll let others judge whether or not this is a good thing.
clem

Post by clem »

these "which game versions are the best" threads always read to me like "there are so many versions to download - which one should I leech?"
laffer

Post by laffer »

Nothing beats owning original copies.

I had to pay through my nose for the FM Towns versions but it was worth it :)

ImageImage
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

clem wrote:these "which game versions are the best" threads always read to me like "there are so many versions to download - which one should I leech?"
Indeed, same here.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

For some games, it's indeed difficult to choose. This list is my preference and opinions may differ of course.

Maniac Mansion:
EGA enhanced version with Amiga palette and PCjr sounds. The SID tracks on the C64 are worth playing as well.

Zak McKracken:
FM Towns

Indy 3:
FM Towns

Loom:
A tough one. FM-Towns has the complete game while the talkie cd has, well spoken text. You should play both, if you have the chance.

Monkey 1:
This is the most difficult decision. While the enhanced CD adds some fitting scores, has extended versions of some tracks and added a lot of sampled sfx to the game, I still prefer the sound of the MT-32, which is the device the music is composed for in the first place.
Having those extended versions with the sound of the MT-32 and still all the sampled sfx in the game would be the ultimate version for me.
Also, while the enhanced CD fixed some bugs, it also introduced some new, unfortunately. Smirks cigar has no smoke in the close up for instance.
Also the Indiana Jones jingle was replaced and the stump joke was removed in the enhanced CD.
I play both version once in a while.
And even the EGA version has a feature the others don't have: On the melee dock, there is a sun which later disappears.

Monkey 2:
PC version and FM towns have little difference which is not worth the difference in price, unless you are a hardcore collector.
I just play the PC version with multi-midi and my MT-32.

Indy 4:
PC Talkie CD on MT-32.

DOTT:
PC talkie CD on Sound Canvas.

SAM:
PC talkie CD on Sound Canvas.

FT, DIG, CMI:
Since there are no options for sound or graphics, I just play them.
trondah

Post by trondah »

clem wrote:these "which game versions are the best" threads always read to me like "there are so many versions to download - which one should I leech?"
Completely off topic, keep your theories to yourself.

Thanks for all comments. I see that it might be better with a list describing the differences between the versions. At the very least, it would be an interesting read.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

How is that off-topic?
I find it to be highly relevant when considering ScummVM's stand on the piracy-issue.
trondah

Post by trondah »

Jonatan wrote:How is that off-topic?
I find it to be highly relevant when considering ScummVM's stand on the piracy-issue.
Ok, so what's the problem? Are you calling me a thief? Do you have any proof of that? What do you know if I intend to purchase the games or not after I know which one will suit me the best? That's right, you don't so shut up and get back on topic.