cant install scummvm on xp sp2

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ginge51

cant install scummvm on xp sp2

Post by ginge51 »

hi :)

im trying to install scummvm on my computer windows xp service pack 2.
i can install scummvm ok but when i go to run the game i get an error message saying scummvm has encountered a problem and needs to close :(
so scummvm wont run on my computer after installing it :(
any ideas any1 please?

thx :)
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

hmmm... try re-downloading the installer. sometimes there there can be an error in the download that causes problems. Perhaps try from a different mirror

Hope this helps
ginge51

Post by ginge51 »

hi m8 thx for reply but what is the best version of scummvm to download for my windows xp instalation please?
ginge51

Post by ginge51 »

hi heres the error i get ive tryed re-downloading it but no luck :(
could this be due to having daemon tools running on my computer?

heres the error i get :(

http://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scummvmih1.jpg
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

well... that depends on what games you want to play with ScummVM, The Win32 installer avialable on the downloads page is the latest release (0.9.1) but if you wanted to check out some of the recently added titles (AGI games, Touche, Ween) you will want to grab one of the win32 daily SVN builds available at the bottom of the downloads page
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Well, ScummVM runs fine under Windows XP.
Your problem could be an antivirus problem or another application which is messing around with ScummVM or a driver problem
Try closing down all running applications and see if you can run it then. If that doesn't work, download the latest video and sound drivers for your PC

Also, try downloading the latest SVN version, in case it's a known error which has been corrected with it

What are the specifics of this error? (Click "Click to see what this error report contains...")
ginge51

Post by ginge51 »

hi m8 :)

i get this error appname. scummvm.exe appver 0.9.1.0 modname.sdl.dll
modver 1.2.11.0 offset. 00014738

ive uninstalled daemontools to see if this is a prob but its not hope some1 can help?

does scummvm need certain services running for it to work as i might of disabled some from when i installed xp ages ago ?
corpse

Post by corpse »

I had a similar problem, this turned out to be due to the graphics drivers. I've got nvidia and downloading the latest driver from there website fixed the problem
ginge51

Post by ginge51 »

just tryed nvidias newest drivers and still encountering this error wtf can this be ffs its seriously doing my fecking ed in now :(
ginge51

Post by ginge51 »

i found a way of playing scummvm on my comp but this was nt the normal method i downloaded beneath a steal sky which already had scummvm version 0.0.8.1 i think it was so iwent to programefiles/beneathastealsky and looked in the scummvm dir and clicked the link it opened up and i played the game by selecting it :)
weird because when i try starting scummvm from a shortcut it flashes on abd off and displays an error which i cant see as it flickers on the screen to quick :(
clem

Post by clem »

ginge51 wrote:i found a way of playing scummvm on my comp but this was nt the normal method i downloaded beneath a steal sky which already had scummvm version 0.0.8.1 i think it was so iwent to programefiles/beneathastealsky and looked in the scummvm dir and clicked the link it opened up and i played the game by selecting it :)
I knew it would eventually pay off that I didn't upgrade the installer to 0.9.1 :lol:

lazyclem