I don't know what to do with these compression tools

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

canche

I don't know what to do with these compression tools

Post by canche »

I'm using PSP and I am trying to compress audio files but when I downloaded the tools file, there are only exe files in that folder and I thought it's going to work if I move these files where I want to compress. but it didn't work. can you please tell me how to compress?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: I don't know what to do with these compression tools

Post by eriktorbjorn »

canche wrote:I'm using PSP and I am trying to compress audio files but when I downloaded the tools file, there are only exe files in that folder and I thought it's going to work if I move these files where I want to compress. but it didn't work. can you please tell me how to compress?
The compression tools are meant to be run from a command prompt, though it's possible (I don't know) that someone has made a more user-friendly interface for them. If so, there's probably some mention of it somewhere on the forum.

Also, the compression tools generally only knows how to take the sound files apart, and then reassemble them. The actual compression is handled by external programs: lame for MP3, oggenc for Ogg Vorbis, and flac for FLAC. These have to be installed separately.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

clem

Re: I don't know what to do with these compression tools

Post by clem »

eriktorbjorn wrote:The actual compression is handled by external programs: lame for MP3, oggenc for Ogg Vorbis, and flac for FLAC. These have to be installed separately.
for the sake of stirring an argument, why not package those executables with the compiled windows tools? license-wise it should be ok at least for ogg vorbis and flac

seems to me most support request posts here deal with missing encoder executables (apart from the "double clicking on the tools doesn't work")