Zak McKracken VGA (not FM-Towns)

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Zum

Zak McKracken VGA (not FM-Towns)

Post by Zum »

Hi there, I'm sorry to introduce myself this way, but I really seek for help here.

Over few months ago I've seen on youtube this video

http://www.youtube.com/v/3KtL9xLalOs&rel=1

(I know it isn't much of an help since it has been put offline by the user for unknown reasons)

It showed all of the versions of MM and Zak, proceeding with this order:

Maniac Mansion 8bit (PC EGA, C64, APPLE II)
Maniac Mansion NES
Maniac Mansion 16bit (PC EGA, AMIGA, ATARI ST)
Maniac Mansion FAMICOM

Zak McKracken 8bit (PC EGA, C64, APPLE II)
Zak McKracken 16bit (PC EGA, AMIGA, ATARI ST)

And then OH MY GOD if it showed a totally foreign version of Zak McKracken, entirely in VGA, reflecting by everything (sprites sheets, rooms color etc.) the EGA one!

Me and a friend asked him what version was it, but he did never respond until 8 March 2008, but for problems of mine I couldn't be there to read the response, and after that the video got deleted by himself.

EVERY SITE I checked about says that the only VGA version of Zak is the FM-Towns one, which I didn't like much for messing with sprites sheets of the main characters making them uglier than the 16-colors version, and for changing the rooms' color unnecessarly with bad effects.

Someone, please DO SOMEONE know what version was it? I've put all myself to figure it out trough the net, now I hope someone else could accomplish that! Thank you for your future help!

(P.S. After that version of Zak, that video showed the regular FM-Towns one we all know. Just to make it clear.)
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

There is already a topic on this video here.

It suggests the version is Zak 2 (the sequel made by LucasFan, based on Zak FMT).
clem

Post by clem »

You should try searching the forum. Really.
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... ak+youtube

That's not too hard, is it?
Zum

Post by Zum »

clem wrote:You should try searching the forum. Really.
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... ak+youtube

That's not too hard, is it?
Well don't pick me mad, I've searched for that, but I haven't found anything that matched what I searched otherwise I shouldn't be posting this topic.

Zak youtube what the heck of a keysearch title is that! I wouldn't think of it!

That topic doesn't respond to my question either. It obviously isn't Zak 2 by LucasFan.

Edit: Oh wait, now that I read better, I see that there is a second version of Zak2 with improved graphics over the FMTowns! That's great! Please delete the topic, over the fact that is unuseful, it describes me as "the guy who didn't search enough trough the forums to read bad" :lol:

Re-Edit: NO, now that I remember better in the video was showed the regular list of verbs! Not the one in Zak2! So I think this topic IS worth after all.
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

Lucasfan made two Zak games, a ZM remake (which from what I remember used the FMT graphics) and ZM2 as I recall. But there's been more than a few remakes of Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders and most of them have one thing in common Lucasarts have shut them down, it could be one of several you're referring to as I do recall people who disliked the FM-Towns version rebuilding from the enhanced version a 8bit graphics version. But there was never an official one.
clem

Post by clem »

Sorry for sounding so pissed in my earlier post.