Full Throttle help

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

greenfred

Full Throttle help

Post by greenfred »

Hello:

I have gotten Full Throttle to work real well on my PC using SCUM "BUT" for some reason in between scenes and actions my Hard Drive really BUZZES loudly...kind of scary!

How can I fix this because i really like the game but do not want to play it when it makes my hard drive do this!

Thanks!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Full Throttle help

Post by eriktorbjorn »

greenfred wrote: I have gotten Full Throttle to work real well on my PC using SCUM "BUT" for some reason in between scenes and actions my Hard Drive really BUZZES loudly...kind of scary!

How can I fix this because i really like the game but do not want to play it when it makes my hard drive do this!
I assume you've already double-checked that the sound is not coming from the speakers.

I can't imagine ScummVM is doing anything to the hard disk that it wasn't designed for. I'm told that "clicking or buzzing hard disk noises" can be a warning sign that it's breaking down, but I have never experienced this myself.
selmi

Post by selmi »

doesn't it do same things when computer is booting and you enter setup, or for example when compressing with 7zip?

i had similar issue in some games and in these situations i wrote. it was motherboard issue (gigabyte ga-m57sli-s4), later it broke completely. after i got new mainboard (not gigabyte) all strange sounds disappeared
greenfred

Post by greenfred »

Thanks for the replys....

To answer them I'd say No my hard drive never makes any buzzing noise at any other time ever..Only playing the Game Full Throttle and only when the scenes are changing...I have about 20 other games on this PC that work absolutely fine as well as all other functions...This is why I wrote because it is only with Full Throttle does my hard drive buzz so bad...

Thanks
raina

Post by raina »

Are you sure it's the hard drive? Sounds more like an optical drive spinning up to read stuff on the game CD. Are you playing the game off the CD or did you copy the files on your hard drive first?

Full Throttle was released at a time when CD-ROM drives didn't have such high top speeds as nowadays, but on the other hand they didn't need to spin up long, so randomly accessing bits of data (like when playing a game straight off the CD) was pretty quick. But when CD-ROM drive speeds started hitting double digits and so on, some time was required to accelerate the drive to the top speed for sped up transfer of large amount of data. And that didn't work well for a lot of CD games. I personally remember playing Sam & Max on a 2x speed CD-ROM drive, all peachy, but after upgrading to a 40x drive, it was practically unplayable because of how the faster drive worked. Either you get a constant loud hum or even a buzz (some discs make more noise) or you get to wait for the drive to accelerate and decelerate between every little thing that needs loading.
greenfred

Empty

Post by greenfred »

No the CD/DVD player is empty...Still makes the buzzing noise every time a scene is changed...
Thanks for the reply
marticus

Post by marticus »

have you tried defragmenting your drive?
greenfred

Defrag?

Post by greenfred »

Well yes my hard drive has been defragged...Like I say my PC is in fine shape...Has 20 or more other games on it that work flawlessly etc
Thanks for the reply
greenfred

WHOA!!!

Post by greenfred »

Sorry gang...I just UPDATED to the LATEST VERSION of Scumm and my Full Throttle works GREAT!

Now I can play the game...It's a classic!

Thanks for all replies and the Scumm interface!