ScummVM Ice theme updated (4 Dec 2010)

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

WNivek

ScummVM Ice theme updated (4 Dec 2010)

Post by WNivek »

Hi folks.

Some of you may remember, a while back I fiddled with the ScummVM Modern theme and put together my own little theme, with whites and pale-blues, and a smaller, relocated logo.

Well it's back - I just finished recreating it in the current standard (as of a recent daily build), and I've got it available here for you.

I've also broken it into three separate themes - one which has the colors, one which has the layout, and one which combines them. (screenshots below)

A zip file containing all three can be found here.

I have not altered the lowres-layout file, and I have not tested this yet on any platforms beyond my Windows box. If my themes fail to work for any reason, please let me know.

Also, these skins do not currently load in the current stable release. If there is demand, I may edit it to work there.

Enjoy! :)

KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Wow, a working theme, very nice!

Aesthetically I think the non-streamlined version looks a bit better, as the ScummVM logo looks crammed in the streamlined ones. The larger game list of the other version is nice though, once the added games start piling up.

I hope you'll keep supporting this, or maybe do another one.
WNivek

Post by WNivek »

KuroShiro wrote:Aesthetically I think the non-streamlined version looks a bit better, as the ScummVM logo looks crammed in the streamlined ones. The larger game list of the other version is nice though, once the added games start piling up.
Yeah, I had released previous versions as a single theme with both the new color-scheme and layout, but at some point I came to realize that folks might like one aspect but not the other.

The main impetus for the layout had been my dissatisfaction with just how much 'wasted' space there was at the top of the screen in the normal theme. I didn't want to just eliminate the logo altogether, but I did want more room for my games list.

Would it help if there was more space on either side of the logo, or if the logo was smaller? In earlier editions I actually edited the logo-graphic so that it was the same width as the column of buttons, but opted not to in this version, instead reusing the "logo_small" graphic from the GlobalMenu.

KuroShiro wrote:I hope you'll keep supporting this, or maybe do another one.
I use the theme myself. As such, it's rather jarring when I decide to update my ScummVM after a while, and find that suddenly everything's gone black and green again.
When my theme stops working, I try to fix it. I usually don't find out that it has broken, though, until I see for myself. If something happens and you want an update, let me know.

I'm also open to suggestions. Got a good idea on how to make the logo less 'cramped', or any other improvements? Let me know and I might do it.

I probably won't just up and make a new theme. While I may make some adjustments here and them, in general I'm pretty happy with this layout and color scheme. Feel free to give it a shot yourself, though - the XML isn't too hard to understand. And you're free to do what you want with my themes as far as editing and redistribution; Since they're based on the ScummVM Modern theme, and ScummVM is under the GPL, I'm pretty sure my edits are technically GPLed too.