Weird Quest For Glory 3 issues

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dknute

Weird Quest For Glory 3 issues

Post by dknute »

I have some issues with my copy of QFG3. I'm running Windows 7 x64 and 64-bit ScummVM, version 1.2.0.

First, the game is being detected as German version and it isn't. Not that much of an issue, it plays in English, but I might as well report it. It does give me a warning:

User picked target 'qfg3-de' (gameid 'sci')...
Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... SCI Engine [SCI0, SCI01, SCI10, SCI11]
Starting 'Sierra SCI Game'
Emulating SCI version SCI1.1

WARNING: Attempt to use invalid/unused file handle 65535!

The only file external resource I have is 65535.MAP - though the game seems to work even despite the warning.

So, I tried 1.3.0 SVN build just now and it crashed:

User picked target 'qfg3-de' (gameid 'sci')...
Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... SCI Engine [SCI0, SCI01, SCI10, SCI11, SCI32]
Starting 'Sierra SCI Game'
Somehow I can't seem to find the sound files I need (RESOURCE.AUD/RESOURCE.SFX), aborting!

Well, there is no AUD/SFX, that's true, but 1.2.0 plays all sound/music just fine as far as I can tell. I checked my floppies and I don't have any of these files on it.

On a related note, ScummVM will crash back to desktop when I mass-add games and some are deemed invalid - this happened when I copied QFG3 files from floppies but didn't yet join all RESOURCE.* into RESOURCE.000, as the install program would do. I get a message that unidentified SCI game was found in the console.

By the way, I know very little about MIDI and instrument patches and whatnot so when removing unused files from SCI games, do I need PATCH.000 (and similar) or does ScummVM use it's own mappings anyway? There are other files I'm unsure of, I know I can delete executables (including DLL/DRV/OVL) and install scripts/text files but there are a few mysteries:

SQ1GMPAT - in SQ1
INTERP.TXT / INTERP.ERR - not used by ScummVM I presume?
LARRY3.DRV - in LSL3, not a real DRV
RESOURCE.LL3 - in LSL3

Also, my version of KQ6 (a part of a collection CD) is being detected as both DOS and Windows game - is there a preference for better compatibility? So far there is just different opening animation (AVI file) and Windows version tends to show "busy" mouse cursor more often (DOS one just hides it).
lskovlund

Re: Weird Quest For Glory 3 issues

Post by lskovlund »

dknute wrote: WARNING: Attempt to use invalid/unused file handle 65535!

The only file external resource I have is 65535.MAP - though the game seems to work even despite the warning.
This has nothing to do with 65535.MAP and is probably a game bug.
dknute wrote: Somehow I can't seem to find the sound files I need (RESOURCE.AUD/RESOURCE.SFX), aborting!
Oops, I put that error message there. :oops:
I'm disabling it for now until we can fix this properly.

By the way, I know very little about MIDI and instrument patches and whatnot so when removing unused files from SCI games, do I need PATCH.000 (and similar) or does ScummVM use it's own mappings anyway? There are other files I'm unsure of, I know I can delete executables (including DLL/DRV/OVL) and install scripts/text files but there are a few mysteries:
dknute wrote: SQ1GMPAT - in SQ1
This is used for General MIDI support.
dknute wrote: LARRY3.DRV - in LSL3, not a real DRV
RESOURCE.LL3 - in LSL3
These are created automatically by the game if they are not found. I believe they deal with the maturity quiz and a few other things. The INTERP.* files are not used by ScummVM, as you guessed.
dknute wrote: Also, my version of KQ6 (a part of a collection CD) is being detected as both DOS and Windows game - is there a preference for better compatibility?
We use hi-res portraits in the Windows version. I think the DOS version uses lo-res portraits at all times. That's a matter of taste, I guess.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Hi there

Please submit a bug report about your version to our bug tracker. Check here:
http://www.scummvm.org/faq.php#question.report-bugs

As for the warnings... they are harmless enough. The actual error has been disabled in r54735, so your version should be playable again.

INTERP.* isn't used by ScummVM.
SQ1GMPAT... I suppose that's the after market GM support, same as the after market GM support tool:
http://www.queststudios.com/quest/Utilities.html
LARRY3.DRV is not a real driver as you said, you can delete it
RESOURCE.LL3 isn't used

As for KQ6CD... there were 2 versions of it, a DOS and a Windows one. The Windows one had upscaled 2x graphics (so it ran at 640x480), some hi-res graphics (e.g. the menu on top), different cursors (we show the DOS ones by default, the Windows ones are black and white, small and ugly, but you can toggle them if you want), AVI videos and high res character portraits when speech is enabled
dknute

Post by dknute »

Bug report posted, thanks guys. I haven't played this in a long time now and was worried that the whole "German version" and error in 1.3.0 mean that my data files got corrupted.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

So the Win3.1 cursors for KQ6Win are available in the latest SVN now? Are they for KQ5Win as well? Is it as similar procedure to enable them?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:So the Win3.1 cursors for KQ6Win are available in the latest SVN now? Are they for KQ5Win as well? Is it as similar procedure to enable them?
Yes, they are available as an opt-in feature in the SVN version. I'm not quite sure about the KQ5 Windows version, it seems that this one is using the icons of the floppy version...
dknute

Post by dknute »

Okay, did some research on "Sierra On-Line's after-market support for General MIDI". Thanks for the hint md5, this stuff should really make its way into next ScummVM README :)

Anyway, not sure why the file got named SQ1GMPAT but for ScummVM it has to be either 4.PAT in the game directory or SQ1_GM.PAT in extras path. If anyone wants to use DOSBox and the GM DRV files, it has to be the first option. There's a READ.ME in the package that explains things pretty well. I'm quite happy with the result, PC-speaker and FM-synth music is how I remember my first contact with Sierra games but I have to say General MIDI is nice too.

However, this update is only for few selected games and Police Quest 2 is not on the list. But, on my CD, there are some additional files for this game as well. Those are PATCH.000 and PATCH.101. And there is a READ.ME included as well but I can't quite figure it out. This is what it says:

Code: Select all

Old System Patches shipped on Disk:

Patch.001      MT-32 (LAPC-I, CM32-L, CM64)
Patch.002      IMF/FB01
Patch.003      Adlib/SoundBlaster
Patch.004      Casio MT540/CT460
Patch.007      Casio CSM-1
Patch.101      CMS

BBS Support:

Patch.000      D110/10/20

New System Patches Shipped on Disk:

Patch.001      MT-32 (LAPC-I, CM32-L, CM64)
Patch.003      Adlib/SoundBlaster
Patch.101      CMS

BBS Support:

Patch.002      IMF/FB01

MIDI.EXE sysex  loader is used to  load patches for other  devices. Devices
supported in this manner:

Roland  D110       (Patches named: KQ5D110, QFG2D110, etc...)
Roland  D10/20     (Patches named: KQ5D20, QFG2D20, etc...)
EMU     Proteus/1  (Patches named: KQ5PRO1, QFG2PRO1, etc...)
EMU     Proteus/2  (Patches named: KQ5PRO2, QFG2PRO2, etc...)

These patches  must be loaded  into the device  before playing the  game by
using MIDI.EXE.  D-110/10/20's must always be  set to unit #18  in order to
receive the  sysex massage. EMU Proteus/1  & Proteus/2 must be  set to Unit
00. Run MIDI and load the appropriate  patch. Run the Sierra game using the
MT-32 driver.

NOTE: Casio  is not supported as  of yet in the  new system. However, there
are  plans  to  support  some  of  their  devices  in the future. The Music
Department will keep  the BBS up to date as  new drivers and patches become
available.

OLD SYSTEM

PATCH#
GAME      000       001       002       003       004       007       101
Camelot   X         X         X         X         X         X         X
CB        X
Hoyles    X
ICE       X                   X         X
KQ1                           X
KQ4       X                                                           X
LL2       X                                                           X
LL3       X
MG                            X
Oils      X
PQ2       X                                                           X
QFG1      X
Silph     X
Sorc      X         X         X         X         X         X         X
SQ3       X                                                 X         X

NEW SYSTEM Extra Patches/Drivers

Device
GAME      D110      D10/20    Prot1     Prot2     IMF
Jones     X                                       X
KQ5       X         X         X         X         X
QFG2      X         X         X         X         X
Stellar   X
Thex2     X                                       X
I have no idea what "old/new system" is (SCI version?) and what files, if any, I should be using. I don't have MIDI.EXE and those per-game patches that are mentioned, the 2 files I have are clearly for PQ2: PATCH.000 has "D110 - POLICE QUEST II POLICE QUEST II * The Vengence *" string in it, and PATCH.101 has "CTPOLICE QUEST II".

So, do I need to put those somewhere, or name properly, for ScummVM to use? Is it even supported, since I get a console warning stating:
WARNING: Game has no native support for General MIDI, applying auto-mapping!
Unlike SQ1 however, I don't get that warning dialog that shows up without the PAT file.

Help?
MusicallyInspired

At a glance it seems "old system" is referring to EGA SCI games (SCI0) and "new system" to VGA games (SCI01 and SCI10) except for QFG2 and Jones which are EGA.
MusicallyInspired

md5 wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:So the Win3.1 cursors for KQ6Win are available in the latest SVN now? Are they for KQ5Win as well? Is it as similar procedure to enable them?
Yes, they are available as an opt-in feature in the SVN version. I'm not quite sure about the KQ5 Windows version, it seems that this one is using the icons of the floppy version...
I'm not sure if you mean that KQ5Win uses the floppy cursors or if ScummVM is currently only using the floppy cursors. It does have its own set of small B&W cursors, though.

How do you toggle the small cursors in KQ6? New GUI checkbox or console command?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:At a glance it seems "old system" is referring to EGA SCI games (SCI0) and "new system" to VGA games (SCI01 and SCI10) except for QFG2 and Jones which are EGA.
QFG2/Jones are still SCI1, though.
MusicallyInspired

Isn't QFG2 SCI01 like KQ1?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:Isn't QFG2 SCI01 like KQ1?
No, it's still SCI1. Also, only the DOS version of KQ1 is SCI01; the Amiga version is SCI1.
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

MusicallyInspired, to use the Win cursors for KQ6, you gotta add the line "windows_cursors=true" to the .ini file
MusicallyInspired

clone2727 wrote:
No, it's still SCI1. Also, only the DOS version of KQ1 is SCI01; the Amiga version is SCI1.
As I understand it, all "SCI01" games are SCI1 but are EGA rather than VGA and contain a parser in the interpreter, hence the "0" before the "1".
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:
clone2727 wrote:
As I understand it, all "SCI01" games are SCI1 but are EGA rather than VGA and contain a parser in the interpreter, hence the "0" before the "1".
SCI01 was an SCI0 branch used for translations. It's really 0.1.