Broken Sword I dead ends

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Balthazar

Broken Sword I dead ends

Post by Balthazar »

Hi

I was thinking of getting started on Broken Sword I, the PC version. I think it's the first (original) version. After a little search it seems this is a game where you can die, is that right? Also, I'd like to know whether there are any dead ends, can you get into a situation where you can't finish the game? If there are, is this obvious, or is it the way that you can go on forever without knowing it?

With this info I'll know how often to save, etc, and how careful to be.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

George can get himself killed, but as far as I know there are no dead ends in the game.
Balthazar

Post by Balthazar »

Thank you! That's great. When you're killed, at least you know instantly that you'll have to start over... :)
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Balthazar wrote:Thank you! That's great. When you're killed, at least you know instantly that you'll have to start over... :)
Just save regularly and dieing isn't a problem. (You don't have to start over if you do) It is very annoying when you get killed and you haven't saved in a while.

Have fun, the first two Broken Swords are amazing games!
vasyl

Post by vasyl »

Actually, there was a dead end in the original game, caused by a bug. IIRC, if you go to Spain before Syria you will get stuck. Interestingly, this bug got into the GBA version as well - ran into it myself. As I remember, ScummVM fixes the broken script in the runtime so you don't need to worry.
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

I didn't know that dead end was in the original. I thought it was just in the GBA version... :?
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Balthazar wrote:Thank you! That's great. When you're killed, at least you know instantly that you'll have to start over... :)
Unlike in Sierra games, there are just a few scenes where you can die. At most of them there is a good hint that it is a dangerous situation, so the game is very fair.
vasyl wrote:Actually, there was a dead end in the original game, caused by a bug. IIRC, if you go to Spain before Syria you will get stuck.
No, you won't. :-)