Looking for help: Uniformizing the ScummVM webpages

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

billwashere

Post by billwashere »

* Removed Header function - A long time ago i was trying to make it more modular for future but didn't get far, so i deleted it as it did nothing.
* converted the original non aminated gif's to png
* Changed top menu links to fingolfin's idea

http://scummvm.comlu.com/ScummModern-0.03.zip

---

I will also have a look at phpBB 3 themes
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Thanks. Here is another issue: The "[Edit]" links (which you can only see when you can actually edit a page, I guess) are on the left now, not on the right, so they appear *before* section headlines. In the default theme, they appear on the far right.
Also, the "[" and "]" are using the headline font, and thus are too big.

Here's an example with the new theme:

And here is how it looks with the old theme (and what I prefer):
billwashere

Post by billwashere »

Changes
* Made the [edit] float right
* created toplinks class and changed colour to #A33 to make sites more uniform
* reverted links to original colours
* removed borders around images
* used original css <h1-6> to allow underlining
* added and converted to png original external css images

http://scummvm.comlu.com/ScummModern-0.04.zip
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I uplodaded 0.03 to the wiki, but [edit] does not float right, nor see I anything in the code that would make it float right.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

fingolfin,
That's because you need to take 0.04 I think. billwashere posted twice a link to 0.03 and since a 0.04 exists I suppose the last link was wrong and should have been 0.04.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Criezy, indeed, I did not notice that. Modifying the download URL to read 0.04 seems to work (I just edited the post to use the correct link). Good work, billwashere :).

I feel that we can switch to this as default theme real soon now. If / when we do that, we should add them theme to our SVN, too. And add billwashere to the credits (and denote him as author of the theme in the .php file, etc.).

Some minor notes: I run "chmod a-x" on all files to remove the executable bit (unlikely to be relevant from a security point of view, but I just like to have it clean). I also optimized all PNGs using optipng & advpng for a reduction from 76294 bytes down to 60523 bytes. Probably not very significant these days, but I still don't like wasting space if I don't have to *ggg*.

The "Users", "Developers" and "Tools" nav boxes currently all have the same watermark graphics (Guybrush from MI1). Can we change those to use three different ones (and then start over for the next nav boxes) ? The names of the image files should also be changed, as they reflect their usage on the main website, but not in the wiki theme (e.g. menu-guybrush-mi1.png instead of menu-main.png ?). Actually *ideally* we'd get a few more of those, so that we don't have to reuse the same three everywhere... ;).

Finally, I wonder if the logo should be linked to the Wiki front page. This is how other wikis do it. Opinions?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

There is an issue with the thumbnails. Images explain it better than words, so here it is:

Old skin:

And here is what it gives with the new one:

I suspect the css attributes for some classes used by MediaWiki is missing. In that particular case the thumbnail is in a <div class="thumb tright">. In the old theme there is the following:

Code: Select all

div.thumb &#123;
	margin-bottom&#58; .5em;
	border-style&#58; solid;
	border-color&#58; white;
	width&#58; auto;
&#125;
div.tright &#123;
	clear&#58; right;
	float&#58; right;
	border-width&#58; .5em 0 .8em 1.4em;
&#125;
I could not find it in the new theme. Also I suspect all the thumbnails related attributes are missing and not only these two. You can have a look at the old skin main.css to have a look at which one are defined (or at the standard MediaWiki Monobook skin since they are identical in that respect).
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Hi,

I tried the theme currently installed on our wiki and I have to say it's quite nice, in a sense that is consitent with the rest of our pages.

I noticed there is some gap between the "Page", "Discussion" etc. buttons and the actual page. That looks really odd. Also I am not sure whether red is the best choice for those colors. I would rather prefer a color similar to what our ScummVM GUI uses for the tab buttons. That feels more natural (and readable) to me.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I think billwashere used the tab images that are currently used on the doxygen pages. But I agree, those aren't the nicest, so maybe they can be changed in both places?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

fingolfin wrote:I think billwashere used the tab images that are currently used on the doxygen pages. But I agree, those aren't the nicest, so maybe they can be changed in both places?
I am all for replacing those on the doxygen page too.
billwashere

Post by billwashere »

billwashere posted twice a link to 0.03 and since a 0.04 exists
Sorry about that
The "Users", "Developers" and "Tools" nav boxes currently a..
Just me how you want them named and what order.
Finally, I wonder if the logo should be linked to the Wiki front page..
I thing so to. Next update i will add that.
There is an issue with the thumbnails.
Sorry i didn't test for thumbnails. Will add the css.
I noticed there is some gap...
I was just using what i had on hand. Yes, i "borrowed" them off the doxygen site. Will look in to this and create one similar to the gui.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Thanks for your work, billwashere!

The order of the nav boxes is fine for me, it's just that the first three all use the same background picture. Right now, we have three background pictures. Just use these three for the first three nav boxes. For the fourth nav box, reuse the first background image, and so on... Until we get additional background images (we could try to ask the original creator of the website, maybe he's willing to make a few more for us?).

Regarding the search box: Wikipedia these days has it next to Page/Discussion/Edit/... tabs. I wonder if we could/should also place it up there... Depends on how useful it is, I guess. Somehow search does not work very well on our wiki, compared to Wikipedia (e.g. it does not suggest alternate spellings if you enter "mnokey", while Wikipedia ask whether you meant "monkey"). Thierry, can we install some kind of extension to improve that situation?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Thinking about the nav boxes some more: It should be possible to create some more with help of the original Photoshop design file for the website, see http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/view ... up.psd.bz2
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

fingolfin wrote:Somehow search does not work very well on our wiki, compared to Wikipedia (e.g. it does not suggest alternate spellings if you enter "mnokey", while Wikipedia ask whether you meant "monkey"). Thierry, can we install some kind of extension to improve that situation?
I don't don't what wikipedia is using for this. I will have a look. It might be an extension or it might just be a new feature of MediaWiki 1.16. We are still using 1.15 on our wiki since 1.16 is a recent release and I have not found the time yet to check the compatibility with all the extensions we are using. Which makes me think that we will also need to check the skin compatibility.
billwashere

Post by billwashere »

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Version wikipedia replaces the original search engine with MWSearch http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MWSearch and uses the OpenSearchXml to provide search suggestions http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenSearchXml. Can't see anything in the release notes to suggest there is any skin changes http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawi ... iew=markup.