Return To Zork CD Music

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Happyfunball

Return To Zork CD Music

Post by Happyfunball »

I have ripped the CD Music from my 1993 CD of Return to Zork, and the tracks came out strange.

Each one after the first seems to start the next track at the end of the track, then it continues in the following track.

Is this normal, or did I mess something up?

Also, the filenames I'm using are Track1.mp3, Track2.mp3, etc.

This is exactly one track offset from the actual track numbers, since the real track 1 is actually data.

Did I do everything right?

Thanks so much to the entire ScummVM team. I'm a big fan of adventure gaming, and I appreciate being able to share these games with my kids.

HFB
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

play the mp3s on your regular mp3 player software, if it's the same there, you probably had errors while encoding. use a different ripper if that's case to re encode the tracks. If it's okay on the normal player, it could be a scummvm issue.
Happyfunball

Post by Happyfunball »

I actually haven't gotten around to using them in the program yet.

I played them in my mp3 player. Since then, I also took the CD and played it on a CD player. It's really set up that way. The track boundaries are in the wrong place. Must be some kind of weird copy protection thing to keep people from ripping the tracks?

Do I need to load the whole thing up in Audacity and fix the boundaries, or is this the way the CD is supposed to be?

Do other people have RTZ CD's that are normal?

Mine has this weird offset.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Return To Zork CD Music

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Happyfunball wrote: Each one after the first seems to start the next track at the end of the track, then it continues in the following track.

Is this normal, or did I mess something up?
Odd. I've only checked a few of the tracks from mine, but they weren't like that.
Happyfunball wrote: Also, the filenames I'm using are Track1.mp3, Track2.mp3, etc.

This is exactly one track offset from the actual track numbers, since the real track 1 is actually data.
That's normal. ScummVM considers the first audio track to be track 1.
Happyfunball

Post by Happyfunball »

I checked out the RTZ disc in DOSBox.

Weirdness.

I can confirm that the game knows the tracks are set up with the wrong dividing point, because at the Fool's Monument (and other places) SCUMM-VM will play the actual full track, right through the first few seconds of the next song (because that's how the tracks were cut). RTZ in DOSBox will cut off before it gets to the beginning of the next song, and repeat from the beginning of the track, so it clearly knows to cut out early.

It doesn't, however, seem to know to start at the last few seconds of the previous track. So the first few seconds of the audio are cut off. It just knows to end early and restart the track.

I vaguely remember this being the case with the disc I had in 1993, too, so I would guess other people are going to have problems with it.

Looks like I'm going to have to spend some quality time in Audigy reassembling the correct track boundaries. :x

I am using 0.14.0svn42175 (Jul 6 2009 23:10:52) and the version of RTZ reports as V1.1, 12/7/93, CD/DOS/English. It is a USA version.
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

That's really odd, I don't remember this problem while testing RTZ. I'll have to check it with my CDs (US + German versions) when I'm home.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

I ripped the CD music from RTZ a while ago and everthing is fine, both with the CD and the ripped tracks. I suppose it's just possible that your CD really is fouled up. ScummVM identifies mine as version 1.0 and dated 9/15/93.