Android version (G1)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Yü-Gung
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:02 pm

Discworld (the first one)

Post by Yü-Gung » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:14 pm

When I saw that ScummVM supported Discworld, I went to the attic to get my copy of that game (it came in a book-like custom case) and see if I could get it to work. And I could! No problem.

It would be very cool if I could show it off on my android phone, but alas the android version doesn't recognize it. Is this because the android version is based on an older trunk version, or is it because of something else?

User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2258
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Re: Discworld (the first one)

Post by md5 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:43 am

Yü-Gung wrote:When I saw that ScummVM supported Discworld, I went to the attic to get my copy of that game (it came in a book-like custom case) and see if I could get it to work. And I could! No problem.

It would be very cool if I could show it off on my android phone, but alas the android version doesn't recognize it. Is this because the android version is based on an older trunk version, or is it because of something else?
Yes, the Android version is still in development, and is based off an older version of ScummVM

daygreen
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:54 am

Post by daygreen » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:04 am

Hi all,

First post here. Basically ive been reading that the android version is still a bit of a work in progress and a lot of people are getting mixed results.

Somehow i seem to be falling at the first hurdle. Installed scummvm from the android apps shop, added all the files as required on the faq for DOTT from a CD version i have. Also tried to load up flight of the amazon queen from the freeware download, each time i add it to the SD card (J: drive), unmount and unplug my phone (HTC hero) and try to play it but whenever i go to add game and click on sdcard in scumm it says 'scumm could not find any game in the specified directory'! Im at a bit of a loose end with this one, ive tried transferring the whole DOTT folder and not just the files, ive tried putting it into a games sub folder on the sd card as well as leaving the files loose on the drive. Really want to get this running, ive got sooo many point and clicks i could potentially get on here.

If anyone has any ideas at all it would really be appreciated.

User avatar
Jacks
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:58 pm

Post by Jacks » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:38 pm

Hello everybody:

At first, i want to say thank you to gus for make possible this port even when all the developers of the scummvm project told us that it would be very difficult to do it.

At second, is incredible play ScummVM and all my classics while i'm going to my office. Now i'm playing Sam & Max :)

At third... i have found some problems with the CD Talkie version (Spanish Version) and i have no FX sound. I have tested it in Ubuntu version (1.0.0rc1) and it works perfectly...

Note: I compressed the audio with Scumm Tools time ago (monster.sou to monster.so3). The speech works almost perfectly (sometimes with some lines the speech does not sound).

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for your awesome work, gus.

gus
ScummVM Porter
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Post by gus » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:16 am

Jacks wrote:Hello everybody:
i have found some problems with the CD Talkie version [samnmax] (Spanish Version) and i have no FX sound. I have tested it in Ubuntu version (1.0.0rc1) and it works perfectly...

Note: I compressed the audio with Scumm Tools time ago (monster.sou to monster.so3). The speech works almost perfectly (sometimes with some lines the speech does not sound).
monster.so3 *should* be supported on Android.

I can only suggest waiting for the 1.0.0rc1-based version that should hit the Android market in the next few days. Hopefully there has been some fixes for your Spanish FX sound problem.

gus
ScummVM Porter
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Post by gus » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:36 am

daygreen wrote:Somehow i seem to be falling at the first hurdle. Installed scummvm from the android apps shop, added all the files as required on the faq for DOTT from a CD version i have. Also tried to load up flight of the amazon queen from the freeware download, each time i add it to the SD card (J: drive), unmount and unplug my phone (HTC hero) and try to play it but whenever i go to add game and click on sdcard in scumm it says 'scumm could not find any game in the specified directory'! Im at a bit of a loose end with this one, ive tried transferring the whole DOTT folder and not just the files, ive tried putting it into a games sub folder on the sd card as well as leaving the files loose on the drive. Really want to get this running, ive got sooo many point and clicks i could potentially get on here.
.
Start ScummVM. Choose "Add Game". Scroll down and choose "sdcard". Double-click the touchscreen / trackball / d-pad-center (yes, I know this is a very un-Android action). Repeat double-clicking until you find a particular game folder. Once you are either in the game folder, or in the parent with the game folder selected, press "Choose". You should get an options screen mentioning the name of the game - press OK and you're done.

Let me know if that is enough to get you going. If so, I'll try to expand on the instructions at the scummvmandroid FAQ. I expect the double-clicking thing is throwing you, since it seems very unintuitive on a phone.

daygreen
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:54 am

Post by daygreen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:14 am

Foiled by a double-click! How embarassing is that! Got the DOTT intro playing through now and its working perfectly, a lot better than i could ever have anticipated and the controls seem easy enough so altogher a great little app, just got to dig out all the CD's and floppys to get the games back now!

deathnetworks
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:42 am

Post by deathnetworks » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:49 am

Just saw the new update for android-scummvm and i just have to say

GUS! I F'ING LOVE YOU! lol, now im away to put discworld on my galaxy ^^
Major package update
posted 4 hours ago‎‎ by Angus Lees
Just uploaded a new version to the Market. The big change is that the game engines are now split out into separate packages. So now you need both ScummVM and at least one of the ScummVM engine packages.
Visible changes:

* Package split
* Virtual keyboard support. Hold down menu to make it pop up. Won't pop up on anything that has a physical keyboard (G1).
* Allow cursor moving via D-PAD, for trackball-less handsets.
* Sync up to latest upstream scummvm 1.0.0pre codebase.
o New engines. In particular: Discworld! ("tinsel" engine).
* Trackball press workaround for HTC Hero.
* Engine data files (eg: kyra.dat) should be found correctly inside the ScummVM package. Remove any stale kyra.dat's you may have in your game directories.
* Give a useful error message if SD card is unavailable (eg: still mounted on PC).
* Logos updated to the new capitalised versions, to match upstream.
* Added maxsdkversion=4 to declare that we don't work on Android 2.0 (Droid) yet :(

Enjoy.

User avatar
hachigoro
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:56 am

Post by hachigoro » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:11 pm

Today I found out that ScummVM was available for the Android and this are really good news :lol: Thanks for your port gus!

I have a couple of questions regarding the project. I have read the FAQ, and you say that to be able to run it on Android you turned it into a JNI library. I know very little of Java but, is the Android NDK supposed to do that? When I read the initial discussion about Android running Java and thus not being able to run ScummVM, the first thing I thought was: "well, with the NDK the problem is solved". Could you tell how you managed to port it so I can understand it? :o

And regarding the last update splitting into different engines. I think that a 10 MB package should not be a great problem. Dream users usually have Apps2SD on their phones, and the rest of terminals have plenty of free space. And maybe that splitting could make it more difficult to merge your project to the official ScummVM I think.

Well, thanks again, I will follow the steps of this port :)
Last edited by hachigoro on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fingolfin
Retired
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:12 pm

Post by fingolfin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:56 pm

As for that: It would still be very nice if this port was finally merged into mainline ScummVM. Sadly, I haven't seen any updates to the relevant patch tracker submission by gus in ages :-/. It would also allow others to build the port easily, and to contribute.

Not to forget that by the GPL, we need to see the full source code... I don't doubt that Gus has full intentions to be fully GPL compliant, but right now, it almost seems as if the the Android port is (again :/) in violation of the GPL -- at least I couldn't find the source code to build the latest Android port myself anywhere. Maybe I didn't search hard enough?

Gus, please fix that, at least put a tarball of the source code you used to build the binaries on your website.

Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:08 pm

I am about to get a new mobile phone (G2, which is a HTC hero afaik). Is there i Android port that supports this phone?

User avatar
hachigoro
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:56 am

Post by hachigoro » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:32 pm

Nikioko wrote:I am about to get a new mobile phone (G2, which is a HTC hero afaik). Is there i Android port that supports this phone?
The Android version is supposed to work on the Hero. Last update has an important clue: "Trackball press workaround for HTC Hero." :wink:

gus
ScummVM Porter
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Post by gus » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:44 am

Nikioko wrote:I am about to get a new mobile phone (G2, which is a HTC hero afaik). Is there i Android port that supports this phone?
Yes, works just fine on G2. Android 2.0 (Droid) is the only problem case at the moment.

gus
ScummVM Porter
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Post by gus » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:56 am

fingolfin wrote:As for that: It would still be very nice if this port was finally merged into mainline ScummVM. Sadly, I haven't seen any updates to the relevant patch tracker submission by gus in ages :-/. It would also allow others to build the port easily, and to contribute.

Not to forget that by the GPL, we need to see the full source code... I don't doubt that Gus has full intentions to be fully GPL compliant, but right now, it almost seems as if the the Android port is (again :/) in violation of the GPL -- at least I couldn't find the source code to build the latest Android port myself anywhere. Maybe I didn't search hard enough?

Gus, please fix that, at least put a tarball of the source code you used to build the binaries on your website.
Oh good point. I'll dump the latest diff into that bug report.

Unfortunately the ports.mk hacks are still a bit rough for it to be merged right now. I've managed to clean a lot of it up, but there's still more that needs to be done.

You are perfectly right that I should make this a higher priority. This last update has consumed the last few months of my spare time - I'll put some work into the build process now and see what happens.

(I have switched all my ScummVM code over to hg, with the intention of creating a code.google.com project - but at this point it might be easier to just get it into ScummVM proper)

fingolfin
Retired
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:12 pm

Post by fingolfin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:45 am

Hi gus,

just submit that patch, don't worry too much about cleaning it up. Maybe people (e.g. me) can help you get it cleaned up. Maybe we can even incorporate parts of it for starters. Thing is, when a port is in our repository, then when we change things, we try to maintain the port; if your port is external, then we can and will break it constantly along the way (not out of bad will, it just happens).

If the code was in our repository, and if it is possible to cross-compile the port on a Debian machine, we could even add it to our BuildBot to make nightlies, and to alert the team about any build regressions.

FYI, we might move to git for version control. Using the hg-git bridge, you could then use our repository as if it was a mercurial/hg repository (see http://hg-git.github.com/).

Post Reply