Sam & Max: Hit the Road - Out of Memory crash.

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Morden

Sam & Max: Hit the Road - Out of Memory crash.

Post by Morden »

I just have played through Sam & Max: Hit the Road on my DS Lite, using the latest ScummVM build [0.12]. I've noticed that there's a risk of the game crashing due to the lack of memory during one particular scene.

When in Bumpusville, at one point you'll use the Virtual Reality machine as Sam. During this scene the picture will through Sam & Max: Hit the Road on my DS Lite, using the latest ScummVM build [0.12]. I've noticed that there's a risk of the game crashing due to the lack of memory during one particular scene.

When in Bumpusville, at one point you'll use the Virtual Reality machine as Sam. During this scene the picture will shift rather fast a couple of times between the VR world and the "real" world.

That's when I have experienced the "out of memory" crash. The game basically froze up, and the console popped up showing the "out of memory" line.

After that, there's nothing else to do but to reset the DS and load the last saved game. Next time around I saved the game right before I used the VR machine and the crash did not occur.shift rather fast a couple of times between the VR world and the "real" world.

That's when I have experienced the "out of memory" crash. The game basically froze up, and the console popped up showing the "out of memory" line.

After that, there's nothing else to do but to reset the DS and load the last saved game. Next time around I saved the game right before I used the VR machine and the crash did not occur.

I'm not sure whether this has something to do with how long were you playing in one go before getting to the VR machine, but I haven't seen anyone else report this, so consider yourself warned.

Below are two shots of the DS screens. As you can see, the background colors are all weird, and even though I could move the image around [zoomed one], everything else froze up and I had to power off the DS.

Image Image
Bowen747x

Post by Bowen747x »

just by looking at your screenshots... ive never had any problems playing Sam & Max, even at the Virtual Reality Sim part
Morden

Post by Morden »

Like I said earlier, reloading the game helped and the next time I used the VR machine, it did not freeze. That's why I asked if this has something to do with playing the game over an extended period of time in one sitting.

I transfered my save states over to my N73 and played through the VR sequence on the Symbian port. When the scene switches back and forth between the room and the VR, there's this snow storm transition effect that's not present on the DS.

Instead, on the DS you get this quick split second of screwy colors like on the screenshot, only it doesn't freeze.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Sam and Max has always used a lot of memory, and unfortunately there's no way for me to tell exactly how much memory is needed in all cases.

And yes, playing for an extended period can affect the memory usage, as well as which items you have in your inventory.

Memory usage is currently being worked on however, for other reasons, so it's possible this will go away in the next release.
Morden

Post by Morden »

agentq wrote:And yes, playing for an extended period can affect the memory usage, as well as which items you have in your inventory.
I figured it might be related to extended playtime, since I wasn't able to reproduce it once I loaded the latest savegame.

It's good to hear you're working on memory usage, since that will probably improve the glitchy looking rapid scene changes during the VR machine episode. During this scene the game looks as if it was just about to crash and if you've been playing for a long time without a reboot, it just might freeze like it froze for me.