ScummVM save states?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ftr

ScummVM save states?

Post by ftr »

I recently found out about ScummVM DS, and decided that taking my copy of Day Of The tentacle with me would be more fun that sitting in my room playing it. I was wondering if there was any way of making the save state from my pc work with the save state on my DS? I copied over the .s01 file, but ScummVMDS says it's invalid...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: ScummVM save states?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

ftr wrote:I recently found out about ScummVM DS, and decided that taking my copy of Day Of The tentacle with me would be more fun that sitting in my room playing it. I was wondering if there was any way of making the save state from my pc work with the save state on my DS? I copied over the .s01 file, but ScummVMDS says it's invalid...
The desktop version of ScummVM compresses the savegames to make them smaller. However, this is an optional feature, and it's possible that the DS version of ScummVM does not support this.

If you rename the savegame, adding .gz to the filename (e.g. tentacle.s42 becomdes tentacle.s42.gz), compression programs such as WinZip should be able to decompress it.
ftr

Re: ScummVM save states?

Post by ftr »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
ftr wrote:I recently found out about ScummVM DS, and decided that taking my copy of Day Of The tentacle with me would be more fun that sitting in my room playing it. I was wondering if there was any way of making the save state from my pc work with the save state on my DS? I copied over the .s01 file, but ScummVMDS says it's invalid...
The desktop version of ScummVM compresses the savegames to make them smaller. However, this is an optional feature, and it's possible that the DS version of ScummVM does not support this.

If you rename the savegame, adding .gz to the filename (e.g. tentacle.s42 becomdes tentacle.s42.gz), compression programs such as WinZip should be able to decompress it.
I renamed it .zip, and extracted it with powerarchiver. Works perfectly! many thanks
johnzo

Post by johnzo »

Just FYI for on the same topic, I have been able to copy my saves from the DS version and use them on the PC version without any conversion or compression. Apparently the PC version can read compressed and uncompressed saves.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

johnzo wrote:Just FYI for on the same topic, I have been able to copy my saves from the DS version and use them on the PC version without any conversion or compression. Apparently the PC version can read compressed and uncompressed saves.
That's correct, the PC version can read both