Lure of the Temptress - poor sound support

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

miracle.flame

Lure of the Temptress - poor sound support

Post by miracle.flame »

I remember playing this game as a kid on Sound Blaster 16 card and I know exactly how the adlib music sounded. Even now when I turn MIDI off in DosBox the emulated adlib matches on PC DOS version.

I cannot say that about ScummVM emulation which has listed this game on compatibility sheet with 95% support. Adlib is broken and even MIDI is quite off compared to DosBox emulation for me.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. My own copy of Lure didn't work so I've downloaded the one available at ScummVM's download section which works but I can't get the sound right. I've tried to tamper with the settings but it's always the same. This particular version sounds well under DosBox. Can you clarify please? I'm using Win XP SP2.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Well, first of all, there is no difference between MIDI and Adlib in the game; somewhat suprisingly, all sound effects in the game are implemented using MIDI, so both music and SFX are played by the same sound player.

You're right that the implementation of sound had some issues - one of them is that the Lure engine uses the standard ScummVM MIDI parser, which by default uses 15 of the 16 available sound channels. I wasn't too familiar with it when I implemented the player, so I had to implement some channel cropping to get multiple MIDI sounds to play at once.

If you're interested in getting improved sound, the 0.12svn has recently had some patches made to the sound support thanks to Hans de Goede.