BASS elevator

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Warp

BASS elevator

Post by Warp »

Hi,

after going down to the second floor I can't seem to get Joey to follow me back up again.
Is this normal? I missed making Joey cut the cable with his torch on the main floor but can't make him go up there again to fix it. Is this a dead end situation or is there some trick to it? He keeps insisting that he is afraid of heights.

thanks.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: BASS elevator

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Warp wrote:Hi,

after going down to the second floor I can't seem to get Joey to follow me back up again.
Is this normal? I missed making Joey cut the cable with his torch on the main floor but can't make him go up there again to fix it. Is this a dead end situation or is there some trick to it? He keeps insisting that he is afraid of heights.

thanks.
I thought Joey was supposed to follow you into the elevator if he's in the room with you when you enter. I've seen him not make it because Lamb was standing in his way, but I haven't seen anything that would make him temporarily not follow you. (Not until much later in the game, anyway.)

But I don't know much about the inner workings of that game, so I couldn't say for sure.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

If I remember this part correctly, you merely need to go up the elevator, and Joey will fly up and join you after a bit... is that not happening for you?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

md5 wrote:If I remember this part correctly, you merely need to go up the elevator, and Joey will fly up and join you after a bit... is that not happening for you?
He can't fly once he gets the welder, though, can he?
Warp

Post by Warp »

I thought Joey was supposed to follow you into the elevator if he's in the room with you when you enter.
He followed me down, but he won't go up with me again. I tried standing in the elevator with the door open for about five minutes and nothing happened. When I try to speak to him the game just runs the "I'm over here - I can see that - Are you alright - No, I don't like heights" - dialogue.
If I remember this part correctly, you merely need to go up the elevator, and Joey will fly up and join you after a bit... is that not happening for you?
Nope, he stays down there. I've never seen him on the top floor after we got down in the elevator together. He just stays down there.

Here is a save-file if that might clarify what I mean.
http://www.algonet.se/~warnut/sky-vm.013
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

You seem to have an older version of the game (0.0348), there's a newer one available (0.0372) - I can't load your savegame with my version of the game.

This might be a bug with the original game itself: it contains some buggy scripts which affect character behavior, making characters in the game stand still and wait forever. There is a workaround which you can try in ScummVM: open the debugger (by pressing Control-D), type "logiccmd fn_send_sync 3 1" and exit the debugger by pressing the escape key (or by typing "exit"). Hopefully, that will fix your problem. If not, it seems you'll have to use an earlier save game, I'm afraid :( For more information, refer to bug #1314495 here:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=418820
Warp

Post by Warp »

You seem to have an older version of the game (0.0348), there's a newer one available (0.0372)
Ok, do you know where I can get it? My current version is the one from the ScummVM download page I think. Or do you mean the CD version? This is the floppy one.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

why didn't you get the cd-version?
Warp

Post by Warp »

Ah, OK so after redoing the sequence and burning the cable before going down
he actually says "come on Joey" each time and Joey comes along. This did not happen before! So I guess I screwed the engine up somehow. It seems to work now though.. I hope things like this don't happen all the time.. I could've been stuck forever
:o

why didn't you get the cd-version?
Too big of a download, and I don't mind the loss of speech that much really. It gets annoying to hear the same phrase over and over.[/code]
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

the game is screwed up, not the engine, but I guess it's really something that needs fixing.

plus, there is the option of disabeling speech in the games;)
Robot_Maker20

Post by Robot_Maker20 »

In the scene at the bottom of the upper elevator, there are two walkways; one in the foreground, and another in the background. If I remember correctly, it's possible for Joey to end up on the rear walkway with Foster on the main one; in which case you can call to Joey with that particular conversation option. However, if you try to go up in the elevator with Joey on the rear walkway, he can't follow you into the elevator. If you walk around the level to the back walkway to join him, then walk back but wait for him to follow you into each room along the way before leaving it, you'll get him back on the front walkway. The main thing is to be careful not to go so fast through the rooms that he gets left behind; I never bother with the rear walkway any more, though, so this problem never occurs for me when playing the game.