Broken Sword 2 Sound / Audio Problems

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

PrinceAlbert

Broken Sword 2 Sound / Audio Problems

Post by PrinceAlbert »

I read a post similar to this problem that was posted in 2005... so hopefully someone figured it out by now.

So, when I am playing, at random times the sound blares out, and I can't understand speech or hear the music. It sounds like I am in the middle of a Megadeath concert... just really blaring heavy-metalish kinda sound. Any idea on how to fix this? I copied the files back several times and all that.

Thanks for helping!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

We do need more information, i.e. your system's specs, OS etc. Are you using compressed sounds?

Can you give specific examples where this occurs?
PrinceAlbert

Post by PrinceAlbert »

OK, well, my info is thus.

Newest scummvm, Mac OSX Leopard, MacbookPro.

I haven't gotten that far in the game. It happens in the first scene where you need to squash the spider. It's hard to pinpoint. It seems to happen randomly. It's too intrusive to carry on beyond that. Anything else I left out?

Oh, I don't know about the compressed sound question: I just copied the files like the wiki told me to.

Thanks!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

PrinceAlbert wrote:It's hard to pinpoint. It seems to happen randomly. It's too intrusive to carry on beyond that. Anything else I left out?
So there is a time, however briefly, in the game where both the speech and the music are working, and then it goes bad? What happens if you play with only the music files, or with only the speech files? Does the sound still go bad?
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

By the sound of it, that's the same problem me and my brother have experienced. I'm using the latest version of ScummVM and i think my brother's using either 9 or 10 (both with XP Home). It only seems to happen in the Caribbean with us though. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it's triggered by certain game music not playing when it should. Then the music goes all loud and screechy and when i reload, the music plays when it should and it's all fine. :?

EDIT: This problem hasn't occurred, to my knowledge, if i use the version of ScummVM that's pre-installed with the double pack (version 7 i think). But i want to use a later version anyway because of the newly encoded cut scenes.
doomer

Post by doomer »

I had the same problem with heavy garbling of speech and music of Broken Sword 2 on scummvm on Windows XP sp2, audigy 2 value. It was in the past with Scummvm 0.9.0. I have the Sold out double dvd pack. It occured in the docks. I had been playing for an hour, I guess. And just when I entered the docks, sound garbled awfully and I had to shut down scummvm. Changing the sdl sound environment variable didn't help. I fixed the problem by turning down sound acceleration level in DirectX diagnostics. After that, there were no sound problems.

Am using Vista now, and I have installed the latest scummvm.. but haven't got around to playing through Broken sword 2 again.

Also as a side note, even with full accelation on, in the past on xp, there were no issues with sound on Broken Sword I.