LEC Launcher for COMI / Grim not working on 64bit machines

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ClémentXVII

LEC Launcher for COMI / Grim not working on 64bit machines

Post by ClémentXVII »

Hi,

I'm not sure where this all fits into the ScummVM picture, especially since COMI is 100% compatible with ScummVM and that Grim is playable until a certain point using Residual...

However, I wanted to point out that the installers for both games do not work at all under Vista 64bit. I have downloaded Vista x64 RC2, and tried to launch several games in order to see if the switch is worthwile. When I try to install COMI using the LEC launcher, I first get this error (click for bigger image, image is hosted on pix.nofrag.com) :

So I navigate to the install folder, try to run the installshield Setup application, and there I'm greeted with the following:

Same thing is valid for Grim Fandango...

I don't know if it's useful to bring this up to the guys at LucasArts, maybe they don't even know about these games anymore, but it saddens me to see that it's impossible to even install a game when the OS or the launcher decides that this 32bit app is incompatible! Welcome to Trusted Computing...
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

I wonder why you want to install CMI? You can play it with just copying the datafiles from the CD and pointing ScummVM to them, no need to run the installer, or do you want to play it using the original interpreter?
ClémentXVII

Post by ClémentXVII »

In fact, I first tried to install Grim (knowing that I can run CMI flawlessly using ScummVM), but when it didn't work, I also tried it with my CMI disks (both french and english versions).

Therefore, I'd say that the CMI issue is not really an issue (though I used that to capture the screenshots), but it's more at the Grim side that it hurts... is there anything I can do (testing,...) in order to help the residual project, or is it stuck in development heaven (i.e. only code guru's can work on it at the moment)?
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

I guess the topic would best belong in the Junkyard forum...

Anyways, it's been long known that Microsoft have removed 16bit support from 64bit versions of Vista.
No 16-Bit Code
• No 16-bit code can run, except for recognized InstallShield and Acme installers (these are hard-coded in Wow64 to allow them to work).
• 16-bit Setup bootstraps are not supported.
• 16-bit MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows 3.x utilities will not start. If you attempt to start such a program, you receive a "Program.exe is not a valid Win32 application" error message
This may not have meant a great deal but has one real issue - installers can/do use 16bit code! Although Vista does have support for a [specific] few in essence you'll be left with games/apps that no longer install.

There's a support tool provided you can use to check if a 16bit installer is used -> http://extended64.com/blogs/andre/archi ... /1486.aspx

You've a few options:
  • Install in a 32bit OS using a VM (Virtual PC, VMWare) and copy the files/settings across.
  • Depending on the installer technology you can get tools to unpack the cabinet file(s) so you can deal with them.
  • Campaign for a patch (unlikely to happen!)
  • Retire the game/app (not likely!)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Reckless wrote:You've a few options:
  • Install in a 32bit OS using a VM (Virtual PC, VMWare) and copy the files/settings across.
  • Depending on the installer technology you can get tools to unpack the cabinet file(s) so you can deal with them.
  • Campaign for a patch (unlikely to happen!)
  • Retire the game/app (not likely!)
Or use the launcher here.

EDIT: Oops, nvm. That's not for the installer. :oops:
ClémentXVII

Post by ClémentXVII »

Reckless wrote:
There's a support tool provided you can use to check if a 16bit installer is used -> http://extended64.com/blogs/andre/archi ... /1486.aspx
Thanks a lot for your answer! The filever.exe (which can be found on Windows CD's) showed indeed that the installers are 16bit based:

Code: Select all

VS_FIXEDFILEINFO:
Signature:      feef04bd
Struc Ver:      00010000
FileVer:        00030000:006f0000 (3.0:111.0)
ProdVer:        00030000:006f0000 (3.0:111.0)
FlagMask:       00000002
Flags:          00000002 prerelease
FileType:       00000001 App
SubType:        00000000
FileDate:       00000000:00000000
So until MS includes these setup files into their WOW64, it's unlikely that they will install in Vista 64bit...