7710 problems

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

zuti

7710 problems

Post by zuti »

Just installed the s90 version of scummvm. First I have to thank you for porting this in the first place, really great job.

...then some problems
1. Unable to use stylus to control scummvm. Cursor moves way too much sideways
2. Display doesn't update. Scummvm starts with a black screen, and you have to "paint" the screen out with the cursor. Same problem with running games, only object that are animated, are updated.
3. Can't quit scummvm.
4. Oh yes, and the display mode seems a bit odd. Scummvm only fills the top half of the phones screen. (about the size of a nokia communicator screen)

I intalled scummvm to the mmc, I'll try booting the phone and installing to the c-drive next.

But still, very good :)

edit: nope, didn't make any difference if scummvm is installed into the phones memory or the memory card.
Justmade

Post by Justmade »

I am having similar problems as descripted in
http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23749

As AnotherGuest had already picked up the issues, I only post here as a reference link for later reference.

Thanks for the porting.
vne

S80 version istead of S90

Post by vne »

Thanks for porting again. Nice try.

But so far S80 version of scummvm works much better on nokia 7710 - much better tnan S90 version - screen refreshes properly and stylus works as expected. The only issue is screen size - it almost not playable without handlens ;)

s90 suggestions (including stupid ones;):
(*) Another issue with S90 version is joystick - arrows keya are moving cursor as expected, but central key (click) doesn't work.
(*) Also I have not found any way to turn music off (apparently music volume slider under options doesn't behave as expected - even if set to 0, it still too loud for me)
(*?) there is no way to get on-screen keyboard during the game - not sure if i will need it, but options popup button is disabled - and text input on function key works quite a weird way.
(*?) Actually best screen resolution would be 640*300 - duplicating every line along X, and every second line along Y or 480*300 - duplicating every second line along both X and Y if going without interpolation.

Thanks a lot!
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well the released s90 was intial work for screen stretching. but actually 1,5 looks awful without interpolation. x2 with small interpolation in x looks ok.
Click must be better mapped..
I am thinking about adding a onscreen keyboard as on UIQ..

Good thing its working nicely. I think it can be performance boost if I would to update to the screen directly also.
vne

Recent build (051108) my 30 cents

Post by vne »

Most recent build (scummvm-051108-SymbianS90_all) is actually VERY good. It works! And it's playable on 7710. Screen refreshes properly (wow) and stylus works as expected. On-screen keyboard - VERY good.

Still list of some annoying weirdos:
(1) key mapping - spent quite a lot of time to find out resolution/control mode hidden switch. Please, please, please ANY short briefing for keys used on s90! It's just tricky for me - e.g. OK+B keys works, but B+OK - doesn't (depends which key has been pressed first)
(2) under options can only assign keys from screen keyboard, but not the hardware keys - ? Also cannot assign capital letters from screen keyboard - just lowercase, but in game both capitals and lowercase works ok.
(3) For game menu (sky) hardware key combination is something like B+zoom (two upper right keys together), but works only in CURSOR mode (sometimes doesn't), not in the JOYSTICK mode? Or this is the feature, not the bug? Once switched to menu, got to switch to JOYSTICK mode again to be able to press something... Cannot understand the logic behind the key mapping. Sorry.
(4?) sometimes during starting up SKY (have not tried anything else with this build yet) scummvm loosing focus and phone menu pops up, have to switch back to scummvm. Could be something wrong with my phone also... Anybody has similar bug?

Good JOB!
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Hi! One of the most difficult things for the S60/S90/UIQ versions is to make the most of the keymappings, and the available keys on the actual device.

For example some can't be used on the device, because of framework limitations. Så OK is a system key in the SDL part, which activates other option keys as the sidekeys. I am sorry that I have n't had any time to document this, but I will see if I can find the time. Right now I am trying to get the ogg/vorbis support working on the symbian port, and it seems like it is working ok now, so I will do a new build shortly I think.
vne

Keymappings

Post by vne »

Not sure how difficult it is to code but for me easiest solution would be to move keymappings out of the code to ini file as pairs of hardware-key vs virtual-key(or action key). So make possibility to play with key assignment without filddling around with interface and recompiling. Then users can provide feedback with available and non-available key combinations as a list of valid values. And this ini file would be self-explanatory help file for keymapping if comments added to each line.
Thanks for reading this.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well there is actually both
1. Support for SDL key mapping
2. Support for ScummVM keymapping.

This is how it works

KeyPress->SDL Keymapping (VIA sdl Keymapping file (Edit on your PC))->Scumm VM KeyMapping (Via SCummvm.ini which you can edit on your PC)->ScummVM event.

I will try to create a new release as soon as I can upload to the ftp site, it seems like it is acting up on me.

Then it depends on the mode of input how the remapping works, if in joystick mode, the joystick wont generate any keypresses, only joystick events.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

But of course I need some system keys assigned or default keys, because otherwise you would n't be able to do anything with the program. And is just to little keys on the S90 device, so you would have to reconfigure it depending on the game you are running. I.e Bass wont use the same keys as dott or Queen..
vne

One more thing

Post by vne »

Good explanation, will try to play around with the key mapping.

Again bugging you - one minor thing regarding the display stretching. When stretching while in the game last(?) vertical pixel line is wrong - some bluish garbage (my guess it something with 0..n instead of 0..n-1 indexed array?). Or it's left after intro trailer (blue whirlpool)? Different window size for trailer and game itself?
Spotted in the SKY and DOTT (nothing else has been tested). Clearly visible on the black screen.

Muchos gracias!
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Ahh yes. that was the situation of updating one pixel line to much or one to little. The scaling routines are very generic, and simple, but should cover lots of different situations, and thats why you get a pixel line of "rubbish" sometimes.
v15

7710 games??

Post by v15 »

Hi there, where is the games?
Does broken sword (with 31MB!!) is the game?
Where the link?
thanks a lot
jg

Post by jg »

Your question has already been answered here:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=2048#2048

Beneath a Steel Sky freeware floppy version is 7.3 MB, which should fit on a phone.
vne

Config data location

Post by vne »

Not really an issue, but might be corrected easily:
SCUMMVM s90 build is storing config data under c:\documents\escummvm;
however, default user data path used on 7710 is c:\Mydocs.

Thanks.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

We are looking at moving the default ini file storage to the installation folder instead, as different variants have different default "Documents" folder, and there is no easy way to read it from an exe.