Monkey Island 2 freezes

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Winston1976

Monkey Island 2 freezes

Post by Winston1976 »

Ok, I have the latest ScummVM build and I'm on firmware 1.5
Everytime I talk to Kate on Phatt Island and I dive looking for the monkey head, I see the cutscene where I dive and then it just freezes and I can't do anything.
Same thing happens when I go to the cliff where part of the map blew away to, and I try to go down the cliff, it just freezes.
I don't know if its a common thing with ScummVM or just the psp port?
PS: my Monkey Island 2 files come from my Monkey Island Madness cd.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Are you using the 0.9.0 release or this build?
Winston1976

Post by Winston1976 »

I was using the 9.0 build, but I'll will try out the 9.1 version and let you know what happens. Thanks

Works perfect, thanks Joost.
patters

Post by patters »

Firstly, thanks for ScummVM. I didn't own a PC or an Amiga when these games were at the height of their popularity. I did later own an Amiga but the frequent disc swapping really put me off playing the Monkey Island series. Last year I played Monkey Island on ScummVM and really enjoyed it, and now I'm playing Monkey Island 2 on the PSP (FW 1.5).

I've noticed a few bugs which I should report so as to help make this even better. I'm using the bug-finding preview of 0.90 (svn Jun 7 2006 00:52:35) on the PSP, using the PC VGA Monkey Island 2 gamefiles (patched to remove the codewheel validation). I was using it quite happily for hours into the game and last night I decided to update the the official 0.90 release. This was because there is a tiny problem where the crosshair cursor leaves a vertical black line behind on the background at some horizontal positions on the screen. I updated, and found the problem is still there on the release 0.90 (Jun 25 2006 13:19:07). So that's my first observation. I then experience a consistent system crash on this release version when I try to use the fishing pole to retrieve the map piece that gets snagged on the cliff edge on Booty Island. At the point where the view should scroll downwards, it locks up. I can email a save of this. Because I lost quite a lot of unsaved gameplay due to this, I switched back to using the older svn version which does not crash at this point.

The next problem is serious as I think it interferes with the gameplay for Monkey Island 2. The problem occurs during the dream sequence on Booty Island when Guybrush bashes his head on the plank when the oar snaps at the Big Tree. I can also email a save of this if you need it. I had to refer to a walkthrough much later on because the part where Guybrush's parents do the skeleton dance goes wrong. From what I can gather, they should perform several verses of the song, then there should be some indication that this song has been written on the spit encrusted paper. What happens in ScummVM is that they only sing one verse but they carry on dancing while the music plays, then the tune eventually finishes and they're still dancing. The only way to advance is to press the skip cutscene button, and then LeChuck appears.

Ah - I've now checked this on the current release version and it's fixed.

So my report only consists of one bug, but I'm not sure if the other one has been reported so it may be usefult to know in any case. It sounds like you may have already fixed these issues in the preview of 0.91. I'll check this later tonight when I have time.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

If you want to see bugs fixed, don't report them on the forums, but use the Bug Tracker instead.
patters

Post by patters »

Done. Sorry.
gottenx

Post by gottenx »

Actually lots of games freezes. Here are my results so far.

FULL THROTTLE - Freezes at many points, like the Cave, Corley Motors, the vultures hideout and the Airplane.

MONKEY ISLAND 2 - It freezes when diving into the ocean, when trying to get the map piece from the cliff and whe you get inside the box to get to Le Chuk's fortress.

INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS - Freezes in the Ballon, when trying to get to the next screen.

The solution for the first two games is to press L button right after the action that will make the game to freeze. For example, when diving, oress button to swap fast to the next scene so you will be underwater and will continue playing. On the cliff, user the rod and press L button, you won't see the seagul taking the map piece, but right after that, head to the tree to continue your game. Same for Full Throttle, press the L button right before the moment the game freezes and voila!

With Indy, the trick doesn't work. Since the next scene it is not an FMV, pressing the L button wouldn't do anything.

Now the question is.. is it a PSP problem, a Scumm problem? I could go on for ours naming the games that freezes at certain points. Nyway, cheers up to SCUMM team, this is the best software I've ever seen!
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Yeah, I know there are severe problems with 0.9.0, which is why I posted the updated test build and recommend it over the 0.9.0 release.

Looking at your post in the thread I assume you already found this out yourself by now. :)
penguin

Post by penguin »

joostp wrote:Yeah, I know there are severe problems with 0.9.0, which is why I posted the updated test build and recommend it over the 0.9.0 release.

Looking at your post in the thread I assume you already found this out yourself by now. :)
Just out of curiousity... the MI2 issue is also there under the SymbianOS 0.9.0 version. Is it present at all platforms?
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

No, just PSP and Symbian AFAIK.
All ports that didn't have an grabRawScreen() implementation.