how to update from apt to release binary cleanly?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

topscum

how to update from apt to release binary cleanly?

Post by topscum »

Hello fellow scumms.
I want to update from my 2.5.1 apt release to the upcoming 2.8.1 binary release. I am on ubuntu.
I want to keep all my saves, game settings, scummvm settings, etc. the same as it currently is, and simply want the update to be a simple swap without needing any confirguration.
how do I do this without losing any of the aformentioned data? and if this is not possible, how do I do it with minimal loss and what will be lost and needs to be backed up?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: how to update from apt to release binary cleanly?

Post by Praetorian »

topscum wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:37 am Hello fellow scumms.
I want to update from my 2.5.1 apt release to the upcoming 2.8.1 binary release. I am on ubuntu.
I want to keep all my saves, game settings, scummvm settings, etc. the same as it currently is, and simply want the update to be a simple swap without needing any confirguration.
how do I do this without losing any of the aformentioned data? and if this is not possible, how do I do it with minimal loss and what will be lost and needs to be backed up?
I am assuming this is the apt package for ScummVM, which for Ubuntu 22.04 is indeed 2.5.1.

The manual upgrade process (which involves removing the old version of ScummVM) should not delete any config or save files, but it's always a good idea to keep backups.

First make sure that you backup your scummvm config file.
On Ubuntu Linux, the scummvm config file should be under a path like:

Code: Select all

~/.config/scummvm/scummvm.ini
https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/adva ... l#location

Make a copy of it and keep it separate somewhere (eg. on your Desktop) even if it is only until you complete the upgrade process.
Your saved games folder would be under a path like:

~/.local/share/scummvm/saves
More info here:
https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/use_ ... game-files

Keep in mind (as mentioned on the documentation above) that ".local" and ".config" are hidden folders under the user's home folder.

You should then first remove the existing scummvm package that is installed in your system. The command should not remove any config files (or any saved game files). Do not use "purge" or "--purge" to uninstall scummvm.

sudo apt remove scummvm scummvm-data
Note that scummvm-data is an extra package that was installed with 2.5.1 but no longer exists in recent releases separately. (So for removing a more recent release the above command would look like:

sudo apt remove scummvm
Then download the deb file for your distribution from the ScummVM official site and, assuming you've downloaded the deb file of ScummVM 2.8.1 for Ubuntu 22.04 into your Downloads folder, install the deb file with a command like:

sudo apt install ~/Downloads/THE_SCUMMVM_2_8_1_DEB_FILE.deb
See here for more details, under "Linux" > "Installing ScummVM using the release binaries" : https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/use_ ... puter.html

ScummVM is also distributed as a flatpak package and a Snap package, but those, albeit more self-contained and less likely to have failed dependencies, may use different paths for the ScummVM config files and saves paths.
topscum

Post by topscum »

thanks, just updated and it works.
how do I set the thread to closed?
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

You can't, I'll close it for you :)