Ubuntu: I have to configure my monitor resolution every time after playing scummVM full screen

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tecate

Ubuntu: I have to configure my monitor resolution every time after playing scummVM full screen

Post by tecate »

I'm using Ubuntu on a laptop and I have a secondary external monitor configured as an extension (not a mirror of the laptop). I used to play scummVM games on my laptop screen before I bought the monitor without fullscreen mode because it was big enough. The laptop's screen is 1366x768, but my new monitor is 1920x1080, which makes the scummVM screen super small, so now I'm playing full screen. However, I'm encountering some problems.

When I make it full screen, both the laptop screen and the monitor show scummVM full screen, but the laptop screen shows scummVM with a 4:3 aspect ratio (same as the game), while the external monitor shows scummVM with a 16:9 aspect ratio, which is really ugly. Both the laptop screen and the external monitor have a 16:9 aspect ratio, but scummVM is changed to 4:3 only on the laptop screen. Furthermore, when I quit scummVM, I lose the external monitor configuration. Both the laptop screen and the external monitor show the same (as opposed to one being an extension of the other), and the external monitor now has the resolution of the laptop (1366x768 as opposed to 1920x1080). So every time I finish playing scummVM I have to set the monitor configuration again, which is annoying.

Anyone else has this problem? Any solution? Thanks!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Ubuntu: I have to configure my monitor resolution every time after playing scummVM full screen

Post by sev »

ScummVM uses SDL to talk to your hardware. Do you experience the same effects with other software that uses SDL? Examples are DOSBox or games like SDL Quake.

In any case, you could check the libsdl forums for handling multiple monitor configurations.

Eugene
tecate

Re: Ubuntu: I have to configure my monitor resolution every time after playing scummVM full screen

Post by tecate »

sev wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 am Do you experience the same effects with other software that uses SDL? Examples are DOSBox or games like SDL Quake.
Dosbox goes full screen only on the laptop screen, not the external monitor.Thanks for your response.
petran79

Post by petran79 »

I use a Linux Mint laptop and connected an old Phillips 17" CRT monitor with modified xorg.conf for custom resolutions. Goodbye to CRT shaders....

But emulators really mess up if I do not disable the laptop screen.