Certain games initially added, then grayed out/"path doesn't exist" after playing once

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Habibi04

Certain games initially added, then grayed out/"path doesn't exist" after playing once

Post by Habibi04 »

Hardware: Rasberry Pi 3

This namely occurs with Sam and Max hit the Road, Beneath a Steel Sky, Flight of the Amazon Queen and Simon the Sorcerer 1. I tried moving the game folders to another directory but this doesn't work. All other games are fine. The good news at least is that save games don't get lost after deleting the grayed out titles and re-adding them, though obviously it's tedious to do this every time you want to play these games.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Certain games initially added, then grayed out/"path doesn't exist" after playing once

Post by Praetorian »

Which version of ScummVM are you testing with?

DId you switch versions especially backwards, eg. from a daily dev build (2.9.0git) to 2.8.0?
Habibi04

Re: Certain games initially added, then grayed out/"path doesn't exist" after playing once

Post by Habibi04 »

Hi there!

The version that gets downloaded by default using the terminal on Rasberry PI is 2.20. After some fiddling, I did manage to get version 2.80 but the same thing happened. This may be a Rasberry PI OS issue so I'm probably better off posting in the 'other ports' section of the forum...
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Habibi04 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:48 am Hi there!

The version that gets downloaded by default using the terminal on Rasberry PI is 2.20. After some fiddling, I did manage to get version 2.80 but the same thing happened. This may be a Rasberry PI OS issue so I'm probably better off posting in the 'other ports' section of the forum...
Another thing you could check, since Raspbian is a Linux distribution (and assuming you have Raspbian installed), is whether the partition containing the game files is mounted by default or you have to manually mount it -- I think this can also be done by the system's file browser, but you have to explicitly navigate to that partition at least once.

So, if the issue does not happen after you added the game, nor during that whole session before rebooting the RPi (even if you close and re-open ScummVM), but *does* happen after you've rebooted the RPi, then it could be due to the partition where you have the games' data not having been mounted yet.

I mention this because I often get this issue on my Ubuntu partition (on a PC wih "dual" boot configuration). I launch into Ubuntu, add the games to ScummVM, for which the game files reside on Windows partitions, so in the process of navigating to them those partitions get mounted, but they are not mounted by default. Later, after rebooting the PC, again in Ubuntu, trying to run the games returns an error, and I have to remember to re-mount the pertinent partitions again.
Habibi04

Post by Habibi04 »

(and assuming you have Raspbian installed)
Sorry I'm new to this OS but I think it's just called Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian?) It's got a desktop, taskbar, icons etc like Windows or Mac OS.

As for partitions, I haven't divided any of the SD card into partitions at all: I just did a standard install from the imager I got from the Raspberry Pi site...