The emulator freezes when I try to run a program in Fullscreen Mode

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Dex Valkish

The emulator freezes when I try to run a program in Fullscreen Mode

Post by Dex Valkish »

Hi ScummVM Community!

I wanted to report a problem I have with the Windows latest version of ScummVM...
I recently downloaded the latest version of ScummVM (64-Bit) for Windows and I get an error
that I didn't see before and that is that when I try to run some graphical adventures
in the same in fullscreen mode, the emulator simply freezes.

Curiously, this only happens to me with some programs that I have like Draci Historie and
the Spanish version of Soltys (the English version runs well in Fullscreen Mode)...
I tried to download the old Windows 32-Bit version of ScummVM and it throws me the same problem.

I really don't understand why this happens, if you can help me solve it I would greatly appreciate it...

Thanks and Best Regards!!!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: The emulator freezes when I try to run a program in Fullscreen Mode

Post by sev »

Probably, using some emulator was not a good idea. Run ScummVM natively, no emulator is required.

Eugene
Dex Valkish

Post by Dex Valkish »

Hi!
sev wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:33 am Probably, using some emulator was not a good idea. Run ScummVM natively, no emulator is required.

Eugene
Sorry for the translation error. What I was referring to is that the main ScummVM program freezes in
Fullscreen Mode even when I run it natively on a laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate (something that did
not happen to me until I downloaded the latest version)...

I don't know if it is. some compatibility problem with the PC or something like that... Thanks.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

That is 99% your video card driver. ScummVM does not do anything fancy with the screen besides requesting a certain resolution or a full screen with this resolution.

Eugene
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

I am not sure if I understand correctly, but does the issue happen only with some games and not all? You mention Spanish version of Soltys having the issue but the English version running ok on full screen with the same version of ScummVM, so if that's correct then it's quite peculiar.

Perhaps you could test with a "clean" ScummVM configuration, at the very least removing any stretching, scalers or shaders from the Global Options > Graphics (set them to default (or None for the shader)), and also the same from game-specific such settings (at the Game Options -> Graphics tab) if you're overriding the global settings for these games.

Another thing I'd try would be to set the Graphics Mode to SDL Surface or OpenGL (if it was set to SDL before), and see if that makes any difference.

Finally, could you confirm that you're using ScummVM 2.8.0?
Dex Valkish

Post by Dex Valkish »

Praetorian wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:49 am I am not sure if I understand correctly, but does the issue happen only with some games and not all? You mention Spanish version of Soltys having the issue but the English version running ok on full screen with the same version of ScummVM, so if that's correct then it's quite peculiar.

Perhaps you could test with a "clean" ScummVM configuration, at the very least removing any stretching, scalers or shaders from the Global Options > Graphics (set them to default (or None for the shader)), and also the same from game-specific such settings (at the Game Options -> Graphics tab) if you're overriding the global settings for these games.

Another thing I'd try would be to set the Graphics Mode to SDL Surface or OpenGL (if it was set to SDL before), and see if that makes any difference.

Finally, could you confirm that you're using ScummVM 2.8.0?
Yeah that's right; The problem only occurred with some programs/versions (such as with DracI Historie
and the Spanish version of Soltys); but not with others (like the English version of Soltys).

Currently, I just changed the graphic mode from Default to SDL Surface and the problem is now fixed (I left
the rest in Default, by the way)...

And just to confirm, I was originally using version 2.8.0 when I got the problem; Then I changed it to 2.7.0
(the one I'm currently using) to see if it was a problem of the version, but it persisted until now. I imagine that
at the end, it was all a problem with the graphical mode.

Thank you very much for the advice and regards!!!