Leisure Suit Larry Talkie Versions

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tecate

Leisure Suit Larry Talkie Versions

Post by tecate »

Hi, all.

Are there any talkie versions of LSL1 and LSL5? I think they made a remastered version of LSL1, but I'm talking about the VGA versions from the 90s (and to be more specific, the LSL1 version that has graphics similar to LSL5, not the very first version of LSL1). I know there's a talkie version of LSL6, but 1 and 5? Thanks.
fibs

Re: Leisure Suit Larry Talkie Versions

Post by fibs »

No, talkie versions of LSL1 or LSL5 were not released back then. They started with LSL6.
tecate

Post by tecate »

That's unfortunate.
invwar

Post by invwar »

It's all about the timing. Yes, King's Quest 5 and Space Quest 4 had talkies, but they were both released just in 92. LSL1 Remake and LSL5 were also both released in 91 as the other two. But if I remember correctly, were the sales of LSL1 Remake very bad and LSL5 had unfavorable reception. So understandable that they have not planned with a CD rerelease. From 1993 (e.g. LSL6) Sierra became comfortable with developing talkies and I think all their games from that year got a Talkie.
LucasArts had the same issues, they made a CD Rerelease of Monkey Island, but it didn't had voice, Monkey Island 2 had just a talkie tech-demo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3sXDiKhjfk). Loom was used as another CD test as Monkey Island, but because they had not yet the monster.sou technology figured out, Loom Talkie has a lot of cut content, because the voices are all on CD Tracks (so max 60min Audio). Their final test was then Fate of Atlantis CD.
tecate

Post by tecate »

invwar wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:50 pm It's all about the timing. Yes, King's Quest 5 and Space Quest 4 had talkies, but they were both released just in 92. LSL1 Remake and LSL5 were also both released in 91 as the other two. But if I remember correctly, were the sales of LSL1 Remake very bad and LSL5 had unfavorable reception. So understandable that they have not planned with a CD rerelease. From 1993 (e.g. LSL6) Sierra became comfortable with developing talkies and I think all their games from that year got a Talkie.
I didn't know that LSL1 Remake and LSL5 didn't sell well based on the fact they made a bunch of sequels. I never played LSL6 and up, so I don't know how they manage the talkie aspect of the game given that Larry doesn't talk and it's mostly the game describing what you do (for instance "You decide to call a cab") or scolding you ("Larry, don't do that"). I don't know if that would make a good talkie game...
invwar wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:50 pm LucasArts had the same issues, they made a CD Rerelease of Monkey Island, but it didn't had voice, Monkey Island 2 had just a talkie tech-demo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3sXDiKhjfk). Loom was used as another CD test as Monkey Island, but because they had not yet the monster.sou technology figured out, Loom Talkie has a lot of cut content, because the voices are all on CD Tracks (so max 60min Audio). Their final test was then Fate of Atlantis CD.
Thanks for posting. I had no idea about that Monkey Island 2 talkie trial. It's weird to hear Guybrush in a voice other than Dominic Armato's. And yes, I bought the CD version of Loom when it came out, and first I was very excited that it was all 256 colors and talkie, but then I was disappointed that most of the dialogue was gone and there were no close-ups.
scobes

Post by scobes »

A remake of LSL1 with voice came out in 2013: https://www.gog.com/en/game/leisure_suit_larry_reloaded