how can i get the local game menu invoked by F5 instead of CTRL-F5 in v2.8?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

UFO

how can i get the local game menu invoked by F5 instead of CTRL-F5 in v2.8?

Post by UFO »

how can i get the local game menu invoked by F5 the old way instead of CTRL-F5 in ver 2.8?
i also unmarked the "use native system file browser" in the GUI tab in the global options.

i hope to have "global options" - paths - scummvm log path to be disable and enable, because i have too many log files going around in Windows OS already.

the game named "Inherit the Earth" running under scummVM v2.8 shows this error message that didnt show up in scummVM v2.6
"could not find Adlib instrument definitions files INSTR.AD and INSTR.OPL. without these files......."

this wastes my clicking labor every time i play this game
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: how can i get the local game menu invoked by F5 instead of CTRL-F5 in v2.8?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

UFO wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:09 pm how can i get the local game menu invoked by F5 the old way instead of CTRL-F5 in ver 2.8?
i also unmarked the "use native system file browser" in the GUI tab in the global options.
If you're talking about the LucasArts games, and I understand the question correctly, you may have to uncheck the "Enable the original GUI and Menu" setting under Game Options.
UFO wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:09 pm i hope to have "global options" - paths - scummvm log path to be disable and enable, because i have too many log files going around in Windows OS already.
You may want to file a bug report/feature request about that one, so it doesn't get lost here on the forum.
UFO wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:09 pm the game named "Inherit the Earth" running under scummVM v2.8 shows this error message that didnt show up in scummVM v2.6
"could not find Adlib instrument definitions files INSTR.AD and INSTR.OPL. without these files......."

this wastes my clicking labor every time i play this game
The DOS versions of Inherit the Earth are expected to have these files for the AdLib music. Are there versions where they are missing? Comments in the code only mention this for the GOG version of I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream. I thought the version Wyrmkeep sells replaced the music with recorded tracks, and they might not be labelled as DOS versions anyway. Not sure about that. On my pre-Wyrmkeep CD, those files are in the game\drivers folder. If they really are missing, you could also try changing the Audio setting for the game to something else than AdLib.
invwar

Post by invwar »

For the Inherit the Earth stuff, at least earlier versions didn't needed it or at least the error message never showed up. I played it years ago with my files like that and the audio files coming from James Woodcock. So not sure if its really needed to have the warning at all. Have to check my CD archive again.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

invwar wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:57 pm For the Inherit the Earth stuff, at least earlier versions didn't needed it or at least the error message never showed up. I played it years ago with my files like that and the audio files coming from James Woodcock. So not sure if its really needed to have the warning at all. Have to check my CD archive again.
If I understand things correctly, the reason the files are needed now is that they contain the instruments used for playing AdLib music. ScummVM didn't implement that correctly in earlier versions. (This may be the "Improved AdLib music support" mentioned for the SAGA engine in ScummVM 1.8.0?)

Playing a replacement audio file instead of the original music is something the game decides on at the last moment. Before that, it still has to initialize the appropriate music player. Changing the setting from AdLib to something else may still make a difference.