Is QfG3 and 4 compatible with Ashlancer's patches?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ArthurWalden

Is QfG3 and 4 compatible with Ashlancer's patches?

Post by ArthurWalden »

I am trying to play Quest for Glory IV (CD version) with ScummVM and Ashlancer's fan patch together for the first time. I am noticing a large number of old bugs that I had believed had been fixed seem to be recurring. For example, the incorrect dialogue when giving flowers to the Rusalka bug and, even worse, the odd hero pose and game crash when throwing rocks at the bonsai bush bug. I have already reported numerous bugs to the ScummVM staff. Ashlancer says his patch is compatible with ScummVM but that there may be other bugs introduced by the emulator.

To be clear, I have never played QFG4 with ScummVM before so I do not know if these bugs would occur without Ashlancer's patch or not. Since I have to restart the game every time I run a new version, it makes finding out difficult. Does anyone know if ScummVM and Ashlancer's patches may be interfering with each other, or are these just old bugs that were simply never corrected by anyone?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: Is QfG3 and 4 compatible with Ashlancer's patches?

Post by Raziel »

I'd say yes...they are interfering, without knowing it.

scummvm uses it's own set of script patches, used on the original data, which most likely concur with that patch of yours, since it already alters some scripts and might therefore negate them.

just play with scummvm and the original data...
ArthurWalden

Post by ArthurWalden »

This is unfortunate. Ashlancer's patches introduce many important fixes and restores additional features to Quest for Glory 3 and 4. I've gotten through QfG3 using his patch without ScummVM so I can probably do that again. However, QfG4 still has too many game breaking bugs even with his patch. It'd be best if a way could be found to make his patch and ScummVM compatible.

To convey what this patch adds to the game (QfG4), here is some copypasting from its readme file:

It's been a rough couple of years... but here we are! I started work on this project in 2019 but couldn't make it in time for that Halloween. Then at the start of the next dread year, a year even more frightening than The Dark One, things went completely insane. Now here we are in 2021! As of this writing, Halloween is 3 days away and I wanted to finally put something out that could cheer people up; people who are going through the same turmoil that I am.

It goes without saying that QFG4 is my favorite game in the series!! From telling an epic, gothic story, and turning the stakes up to 11, to making you feel like a true hero. A hero who not only saves the entire world from encroaching darkness, but a small town, a community of colorful and memorable characters who were genuinely suffering. What can be said about this game that hasn't been talked about at length dozens of times already? Well how about the bugs for starters... this is probably the glitchiest game in the entire series. The crashes, dead ends, and lockups have plagued our collective childhoods for years. No more. This Halloween, Avoozl has crossed over to finally put an end to the terrifying errors in Shadows of Darkness.

But that's not all!

For the first time in 28 years, players can hear the bulk of narrator, John Rhys-Davies' lost audio as was originally intended. Much of the narration lies buried in the resource files due to coding issues, or was just cut for release time. One of the major reasons I wanted to revisit this game was the Youtube videos showing off Rhys-Davies' narration for game over screens. I'd always wanted to hear them played in-game like they were meant to be. I'm convinced now that the entire game was meant to be 100% voiced from context menus to the most minute descriptions and characters. Sadly, much of that narration now only exists on tapes probably lost in Sierra's vaults somewhere...

It's been a real fun ride, but things aren't over just yet! While I feel that I've succeeded in most of the original goals of this project, I still want to continue providing support for this game and the other games in the series, get the patches refined and hosted on Steam and GoG servers, in SHP installers, and maybe even meet and work with the ScummVM crew! I've just been extremely busy IRL for the last few months and things are only now comming to a head. Apologies for not being able to respond to everyone who's been asking lately. I want to find the time next year to get things done.

Ultimately, you guys are the true inspiration for this project. Thank you for all the years of love and dedication keeping these games alive; some of the earliest games that quite literally shaped my childhood and got me into RPGs in the first place. I sincerely hope that you have as good a time playing through this game, as I had fun producing this project!

=============
Requirements:
=============

This patch is intended for updating QFG4 (CD/DOS/English) from any previous version up to 1.1 (not to be confused with the old floppy 1.1 patch!). You can verify if you are running this version by opening the options menu in-game and clicking on the Sierra mountain logo. It should say "Version: 1.1A".

You'll need a copy of QFG4 installed on your device from either a CD-ROM, GoG, or Steam. I'm honestly not sure whether a 3.5" floppy or Windows version will work, but you're welcome to try! The NewRisingSun speed fixes are included in this patch with the exception of the wraith barrow (53.scr), which has been superceded. You will also most likely need a DOS emulator to run the game, depending on your system. The best two currently available are DosBox and ScummVM. This patch is fully compatible with either emulator. As I understand it, ScummVM uses its own interpreter to read and translate the original SCI code, then supercedes their own patches in memory wherever issues are identified. ScummVM users please be aware that you may run into some platform-specific issues that have nothing to do with the QFG4 code itself.
===========
Highlights:
===========

- Roughly an hour of cut audio has been restored! All deaths are now fully voiced by the narrator, John Rhys-Davies. Several of the game's items now have their descriptions voiced, although about 2/3rds of this audio is missing from the resource files and cannot be recovered. Many, many unique messages that previously could not be seen by the player due to faulty scripting will now play. Most of these messages involve casting Detect Magic, attempting to sleep, and using various items on rooms.

- Every dead end in the game should now be gone, including the infamous Domovoi bug, getting trapped in the Monastery from entering through the window, and the Wizard being unable to cast spells in the final room.

- Several annoying bugs have been squashed: bone cage issues, Paladin's Honor Shield disappearing after rest, Fighters with climb unable to read the book on Climbing, Necrotaurs drowning out Katrina's voice in front of the castle gates, music cutting out during the cave endgame, etc.

- Animation Improvements: Levitate sparklies should now appear consistent across rooms, the Fighter now swings his axe on the gate instead of a sword.

- Restored the cut encounter with the Crypt Wraith beneath the Cemetary. I based the script and reward on the information available within the unused narration. Some lines were taken from other parts of the game to complete the teller, but the overall encounter should be close to what the programmer had envisioned!

- Some missing deaths have been restored: That "Trapped" Feeling in the Thieves' Guild and "Spelled Down" during the fairy ambush could not be seen by the player due to duplicate entries in their respective rooms. Wraith to the Finish is included with the Crypt Wraith.

- Some inventory icons have been restored: Battle Axe, Piotyr's Sword, Piotyr's Shield, and cooked Elderbury Pie. Yuri now now gives you a key to the chest in your room (has no real purpose other than flavor).

- The final battle now has sound effects!!

*Note: A full list of changes with additional info (for NERDS!) has been included in the accompanying readme.
------
Apologies for so much text, but I want to convey why I feel it would be best if the two could be made compatible.

Just for the record. I will continue to attempt to play the game with both Ashlancer's patch and ScummVM until and unless it becomes clear I can't. Then I will try your recommendation (though I'll have to start the game over again).
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

you started a similar thread here and got a link to read up on already implemented fixes.

did you even play the games with scummvm and their original data to check, or is advertising this specific patchset a thing nowadays?
ArthurWalden

Post by ArthurWalden »

Sorry. This was not really an attempt to advertise the patch (though I suppose in a certain sense it may be). The reason I posted so much text from the readme was that I consider this patch as well as ScummVM to greatly add to the quality of QFG4 and would like them to work together as well as possible. You are right; it would make sense to check the original game data on ScummVM. For me, it is mostly a matter of time.

Although I cannot be completely sure yet, my OP may have been a bit hasty. Having played further in the game, I have checked many places where bugs were reported to ScummVM and all the ones I have found so far have been corrected, except for the few I reported. One thing to note: one of the bugs I complained about (the one in throwing rocks at the bonsai bush) has never been noted as corrected in either Ashlancer's or ScummVM's files. I also note that this bug is easily worked around.

And, yes, I read through ScummVM's file recording SCI bug fixes. I truly appreciate all the work that has been put into it.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Then that is everything you can do right now...and imho you're doing everything right.

Reporting new found bugs or known bugs not yet fixed is the way to go.

i don't think those third party patches can do any good (apart from a good source of known bugs) since they might patch the scripts in an odd way, before ScummVM takes over, which could make ScummVM's patching fall over later on.

Stick to one and enjoy it :-)
Stick to one, report new bugs, wait for the fix and enjoy it even more ;-)

in any way, enjoy your gaming
ArthurWalden

Post by ArthurWalden »

Well, ordinarily I would take your advice about third party patches, but this particular patch restores a bunch of features to the game for which the code was present when published but had not been properly implemented so you never saw it in the game. (It seems Sierra gave up supporting the game almost immediately after release.) For example, many lines of audio have been restored, there is now an optional Crypt Wraith encounter in that building in the Cemetery, and the final battle between Ad Avis and Katrina now has sound effects.

Also, not only was this patch designed to be compatible with ScummVM, but the patch developer has actually expressed a wish to someday work with ScummVM's developers. I don't know if it will ever happen, but it would improve the gaming experience all around.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

he should maybe ask at discord then?