Ultima VI savegame compatibility? (GOG ver 'CS 1.0')

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Gileathane

Ultima VI savegame compatibility? (GOG ver 'CS 1.0')

Post by Gileathane »

Hi!

Having trouble getting a (GOG version) Ultima VI save to work in ScummVM. Appreciate that this may be a GOG issue, rather than ScummVM!

When I try to load it via UI>Original Save, I load in as a (what seems like) a default character at the start of U6 with the player name 'Avatar'.

Investigating a bit, I rolled back the current GOG version of Ultima VI ('CS 1.0') to the two previous versions available via the GOG Galaxy client, and the save didn't work woth those versions either (also tested with Nuvie standalone, and had the same result).

Does anyone else had a similar issue, or any insight to share? Would prefer not to have to start a new save to enjoy Ultima VI in ScummVM :)
Gileathane

Re: Ultima VI savegame compatibility? (GOG ver 'CS 1.0')

Post by Gileathane »

Investigating a bit further:

* GOG saves Ultima VI games in a directory called cloud_saves\SAVEGAME
* I ran a diff on my troubled GOG save against a fresh save from a non-GOG installation of U6, and the GOG save had 2 fewer files...
* Used trial and error to copy paste savegame files from the non-GOG installation save, including adding the 2 'missing' files, and.... voila - it worked. Posting also on the GOG forum -will note it there...