Problem unpacking syberia games

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Wronschien

Problem unpacking syberia games

Post by Wronschien »

Hello, just bought both Syberia games on gog and I'd like to try them out in Scummvm on Windows 10.
Following the wiki I downloaded unarWindows and the mac installers for these games.
But when I try

Code: Select all

unar syberia_en_2.0.0.1.pkg
nothing much happens, it just hangs for a couple seconds before displaying prompt again.
What can I do ?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Problem unpacking syberia games

Post by Praetorian »

Wronschien wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:21 pm Hello, just bought both Syberia games on gog and I'd like to try them out in Scummvm on Windows 10.
Following the wiki I downloaded unarWindows and the mac installers for these games.
But when I try

unar syberia_en_2.0.0.1.pkg
nothing much happens, it just hangs for a couple seconds before displaying prompt again.
What can I do ?
That unar (unarWindows) does not work for me either. It does the same as for you; silently exits without doing anything.

On my Windows 10, I have setup Linux for Windows with an Ubuntu 20.04 OS, so it was easy to load that up, install the "unar" tool and then issue a command like:

unar /mnt/d/GAMES_I_to_Z/syberia/syberia_en_2.0.0.1.pkg -o /mnt/d/GAMES_I_to_Z/syberia/
which worked as intended.
Wronschien

Post by Wronschien »

I didn't know about linux for windows.
I'll dig into that in a few days, thank you for the tip.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

You could try with 7-Zip as well. It seems to support expanding both xar and cpio archives, and as far as I know macOS pkg installers are an xar archive in disguise, with the included payload being a gzipped cpio archive.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

7-zip does seem to be able to extract the pkg. But, for me (Win 10, 7-zip v23.01), it also shows a warning about "There are some data after the end of the payload data".

So, I chose to play it safe and go with the linux "unar".
Wronschien

Post by Wronschien »

Well it worked indeed with linux for windows, a handy tool I might have use for in the future.
I also tried out 7zip and it seems to do the job fine, as long as you rename 'Scripts' to 'something.cpio.gz'. And that's much faster than the previous method.
Also, I didn't encounter an error about data after payload.

Btw are there any plans to support the windows versions ? After a bit of trying both, I prefer the originals. In the mac versions the UI and subtitles are too invasive I think, a pity for games with such an atmosphere.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Wronschein: The Windows versions used a completely different engine, hence why only the Mac versions are supported. However, there was an enhancement discussion on hiding hotspots and generally trying to make the UI less invasive, but don't get hopes up as it is based on someone getting interested and doing alot of work.

See also:
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=Tetraedge
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=Syberia#Engine
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... _II#Engine
Wronschien

Post by Wronschien »

Thanks for the reply.
Well time will tell, it's already nice to have access to these games on the engine.