ScummVM Can’t Detect Madeline and the Magnificent Puppet Show

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

philthethrill

ScummVM Can’t Detect Madeline and the Magnificent Puppet Show

Post by philthethrill »

I have ScummVM 2.8.0pre (Dec 16 2023 11:15:53) installed, and I’m trying to play Madeline and the Magnificent Puppet Show. Wikipedia says it came out in 1995. I got a brand new copy from eBay, and it’s from Encore Software, copyright 2004. I put the CD in the CD drive of my laptop, and ScummVM says it could not find any game in the specified directory. Any suggestions?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: ScummVM Can’t Detect Madeline and the Magnificent Puppet Show

Post by Praetorian »

philthethrill wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:05 am I have ScummVM 2.8.0pre (Dec 16 2023 11:15:53) installed, and I’m trying to play Madeline and the Magnificent Puppet Show. Wikipedia says it came out in 1995. I got a brand new copy from eBay, and it’s from Encore Software, copyright 2004. I put the CD in the CD drive of my laptop, and ScummVM says it could not find any game in the specified directory. Any suggestions?
It's possible that the full game is not yet supported.

I've tried the two demos from the ScummVM site with the 2.8.0pre build (same as yours). The demos are non-interactive. The first one is detected and runs ok. The second one has some issues if it's interrupted by a mouse click, and at some point throws an error for missing a video file.

I don't see the full game in the detection tables for the Director engine.

I also do not own the full game to test. You could inquire on the Discord about this, I suppose.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Indeed, we have not seen the full game yet, this is why we haven't added detection, merely attempted to launch it.

Also, I am not sure that the full game is using the Director engine at all.

Eugene
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

I found a Wikipedia article that talks about the development of the Madeline games. It says that Madeline and the Magnificent Puppet Show runs on an existing engine, but they don’t specify it. They reference a specific book called Interactive Publishers Handbook by Paul Palumbo and John Kalb that was published in 1996. Used copies are available on eBay and on Amazon. Here’s the link to the Wikipedia article. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madelin ... me_series)
philthethrill

Post by philthethrill »

Praetorian wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:19 pm I've tried the two demos from the ScummVM site with the 2.8.0pre build (same as yours). The demos are non-interactive. The first one is detected and runs ok. The second one has some issues if it's interrupted by a mouse click, and at some point throws an error for missing a video file.
The second demo actually includes an interactive sample of the game. Here's a YouTube video that shows the 2nd demo with the interactive sample. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1YKFF8CjlU