ScummVM not launching on Switch

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Switch port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ssn_online

ScummVM not launching on Switch

Post by ssn_online »

Dears,

I am trying to launch ScummVM on my Switch that is HB enabled with Atmosphere. All I get is a blank/black screen. I downloaded the package and installed it as advised.

Any known issue that I should be aware of to get it running?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: ScummVM not launching on Switch

Post by Praetorian »

ssn_online wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:25 am Dears,

I am trying to launch ScummVM on my Switch that is HB enabled with Atmosphere. All I get is a blank/black screen. I downloaded the package and installed it as advised.

Any known issue that I should be aware of to get it running?
Can you clarify which package you installed?
Did you download it from the ScummVM site and what version of ScummVM is it?
Did you follow the instructions as detailed on the documentaiton here:
https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/othe ... witch.html
ssn_online

Post by ssn_online »

Many thanks for your prompt reply! Yes, I did follow the instructions and installed the latest 2.7.1 build from the official download source. What is not there, is a game at this moment but the main menu should show up anyhow? I am using hbmenu 3.5.1 with nx-hbloader 2.4.3. Atmosphere 1.5.5 with FW 16.1.0.

Thanks a lot for your support!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

I am not sure what the issue could be. I agree that the ScummVM launcher should run up to the main GUI interface even without a game added, same as the desktop PC ScummVM version.

But, just in case, I would try copying a game folder (you could quickly try with a small a demo or a freeware game from the ScummVM site) where the instructions indicate it should go and see if anything changes.

As moderator note: The thread will be moved (in a few hours) to the Switch Port subforum, so that more people involved or using the Switch ScummVM port can provide help: viewforum.php?f=24

(edit: the thread move was complete)
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

It works for me. ScummVM needs a lot of memory, so start it in App mode by holding the R button while launching a regular game. Make sure you don't start it in Applet Mode via Album. There's not enough memory that way.