Curse of Monkey Island - Music stutters

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

WDeranged

Curse of Monkey Island - Music stutters

Post by WDeranged »

The music will sometimes briefly stutter or cut out when Guybrush looks at an object in the scene or when quick travelling several screens in sequence. A guaranteed way to trigger a music stutter is to look at the inventory item treasure map (for the theatre lights) in Puerto Pollo.

Low latency mode doesn't help.

Windows 10 fully updated
Latest Scummvm
5800x3d
RTX 3080
AndywinXp

Re: Curse of Monkey Island - Music stutters

Post by AndywinXp »

Heyhey!
First of all, with "latest" version of ScummVM you mean 2.7.1 or the latest daily? (Try the latter one, just in case)
ScummVM sets up the audio device at start-up and it shows some information on the text console: can you tell me what is the value for the audio buffer size? Also, which is your audio device?

This looks like a fairly old problem which had fixed itself magically and just disappeared, so I don't know what seems to be causing it...
WDeranged

Post by WDeranged »

AndywinXp wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:25 am Heyhey!
First of all, with "latest" version of ScummVM you mean 2.7.1 or the latest daily? (Try the latter one, just in case)
ScummVM sets up the audio device at start-up and it shows some information on the text console: can you tell me what is the value for the audio buffer size? Also, which is your audio device?

This looks like a fairly old problem which had fixed itself magically and just disappeared, so I don't know what seems to be causing it...
Thank you for your reply. Yes I was using 2.7.1 but I just tried the latest 2.8.0git Development Build as well. It also has the same audio issue. I can't see any audio buffer size settings in the log window, even after enabling debug mode.

I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett gen 2.
AndywinXp

Post by AndywinXp »

Oh, a Scarlett! I had that one too! Gen 2 as well 😄

My advice would be to refrain from playing using that Audio Interface, the reason being that its Windows drivers are *very* broken. That's one of the reasons I switched to another audio Interface for recording and producing music. This game uses an audio engine which heavily relies on audio buffers being ready at the correct time. This won't be a problem on stock audio cards for any PC, but it certainly can be an issue when dealing with a device whose drivers were not properly tested for your OS 😟

Speaking of which... Do you have issues when *not* using the Focusrite interface?
WDeranged

Post by WDeranged »

The Windows drivers are a bit janky but I rarely have any real issues. I did test my PCs onboard sound and it had the same issue. Seems this has been going on a while with COMI. I tried to play it a couple of years ago and to be fair it was worse than this, so things are improving.