Frontend compatible

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Onahido

Frontend compatible

Post by Onahido »

Hello, could you make this great app compatible with frontend apps like Daijisho or reset collection. I know RetroArch core of scummvm is compatible with frontends but the core isn't updated like your main app .
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Frontend compatible

Post by Praetorian »

Hello,

I don't think there's currently any plans for this, for the standalone ScummVM App. However, as far as I know, lately the ScummVM core for RetroArch has become part of the ScummVM source code repository and, thus, has been keeping up-to-date with the ScummVM recent versions. (That is my impression at least).

If you cannot get a recent version of the ScummVM core that matches the latest official ScummVM version, you could ask for help and support about it on the ScummVM Discord on the "port-libretro" channel.
Onahido

Post by Onahido »

Thanks for the reply. I will ask on discord as you advise. Have a nice day.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

It is not clear what you mean by "making it compatible with frontend apps." What does that imply? What is the problem in general?

Eugene
reaper198412

Post by reaper198412 »

sev wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:52 pm It is not clear what you mean by "making it compatible with frontend apps." What does that imply? What is the problem in general?
Eugene
Many Android handhelds now have game launchers that act as a 'frontend' for different emulators with boxart, video etc as a user friendly interface to the device.
The Android ScummVM app is not compatible with these launchers since it does not allow them to launch games directly.

At the moment most frontends support the Retroarch ScummVM core, but that's suboptimal since the Android RA core is much less feature rich (and runs significantly slower) than the standalone Scummvm app.