2.7.1 WinXP-win32 builds don't work under WinXP SP3

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

zosite

2.7.1 WinXP-win32 builds don't work under WinXP SP3

Post by zosite »

Hello,

Just reporting that no scummvm-2.7.1-winxp-win32 builds seem to work under Windows XP SP3 anymore (at least not for me). All them (up to 2.7.1-4) result on a "CTR+C" exit error on execution.

scummvm-2.7.0-winxp-win32 builds work flawlessly though; I wonder whether it may be related to compiler GCC version but there might be other libraries there to be checked against WinXP for compatibility.

Thanks in advance for your attention and support and keep up with such an outstanding work!
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Re: 2.7.1 WinXP-win32 builds don't work under WinXP SP3

Post by digitall »

Replicated this. @zosite: You can report as a bug if you wish at bugs.scummvm.org

The actual error is "The procedure entry point GetTickCount64 could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll"

That API was added in Vista, so should not be used in WinXP code: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... ickcount64
zosite

Post by zosite »

So I did; ticket #14575 with normal priority. Thank you so much for finding it out, digitall!

Hope it will be fixed soon; though I didn't dare to set a higher priority for the ticket I must admit I can't wait to properly use the new build, for it seems it finally fixes the issue with the volume in Loom EGA. I... err... suppose I -could- use my Windows 7 or even my Windows 10 installation for this but, but... NO! I must be strong! :P
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

This is something that was discovered by the team after the 2.7.1 release.
Possible solutions are discussed but as far as I know there's no ETA as of yet.

As a workaround, the Windows 95+ build should work on XP. Could you test with that?
zosite

Post by zosite »

No, Win95+ build didn't work under WinXP for me, not even with Win9x compatibility mode enabled and scummvm.ini created from scratch. The exact error is as follows:

WARNING: OpenGLGraphicsManager::endGFXTransaction: Could not load any graphics mode!!

Just asking, for I might decide to compile it myself for WinXP: would it be enough to replace GetTickCount64 with GetTickCount in the source or does this issue go far beyond something that simple?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

I think you could build with disabled updates (ie. using --diable-updates with config) and that particular issue would go away.

But I haven't done it myself.

You'd have to have a toolchain ready for building for Windows XP, with any required libraries configured for XP compatibility.
zosite

Post by zosite »

Thank you, again! I may give it a try in days ahead.

However, there's something I'd like to ask the development team about: whoever commented on my bug report says that as of now WinXP builds are deprecated, then he/she recommends to use Win9x builds instead. Well, as I told you Win9x doesn't work at all under WinXP, or at least not for me.

Question is: does it mean WinXP builds are over, not to be released anymore on a working state? That is, did you actually end WinXP support? Well, if that's the case I call it a curious turn of events that the recommended build to replace it is... Win9x... errr... :roll:

Then again, just asking; given the nature of ScummVM itself and the sheer amount of rather -obsolete- hardware where you would find it installed (being this not near as obsolete as the original hardware the games it runs were built for, which is the key concept here) I hardly doubt it, and I rather think that whoever answered my report is just saying there's not ETA to fix WinXP builds then recommends to use Win9x for the time being as a temporary replacement.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

zosite wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:48 pm Thank you, again! I may give it a try in days ahead.

However, there's something I'd like to ask the development team about: whoever commented on my bug report says that as of now WinXP builds are deprecated, then he/she recommends to use Win9x builds instead. Well, as I told you Win9x doesn't work at all under WinXP, or at least not for me.
Please add that info on the bug tracker. It could be useful for the resolution of the issue; it would make any developer looking into the ticket aware that the recommendation may not work for everyone and/or you could get advice on how to fix the issue with the Win9x build.

lotharsm (rootfather) is a project admin and the person maintaining the toolchain for building the release Windows XP builds for ScummVM. My understanding is that there is no ETA for a fixed build
zosite

Post by zosite »

It's done. Besides, Win95+ build doesn't even come with a proper installer AFAIK. I sincerely hope WinXP support will continue and it's just that we'll need to wait for some 2.7.2 version to see again a working build (in the worst case that a working 2.7.1 WinXP never sees the light).
zosite

Post by zosite »

Good news on this one! Seems Win9x 2.7.1 build finally works if properly set to use SDL 1.x environment variables (I had them set for SDL 2.x on WinXP previous builds). You may take a look:

https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/14575#no1

But then again, I sincerely think that the request for a proper WinXP build in the near future should stand.
zosite

Post by zosite »

So, 2.8.0 is out. And it looks promising; for starters, I just can't wait to test the new faithfulness of BS1!

However... WinXP stopped working after 2.7.0 and now Win9x version just disappeared from downloads as well.

The question is simple: have you dropped not only support but also working builds for anything below Vista? (GetTickCount64, you know...)

Please don't hesitate to state it clearly. It's just that I kinda *WANT* to know whether should I start assuming that up to 3 old rigs I have around running XP for retro stuff and old console emulation won't see any more ScummVM updates unless I compile them myself. And in this last case I'd be grateful if you could tell me whether changing GetTickCount64 for GetTickCount may break anything else just in case.
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

There's a high chance that the Windows 9x builds will return.

However, the XP builds are most likely gone, since you'll be able to use the Win9x builds for them as well. Additionally, I'm about to switch to MSYS2 for the Windows release builds which will drop support for 32bit and outdated Windows versions in the future.

https://www.msys2.org/news/#2023-12-13- ... t-packages

This will most likely _not_ affect the Windows 9x builds though since they are built differently.
zosite

Post by zosite »

Understood, thank you.

In fact, and specially if this makes your coding/compiling/debugging life easier, it makes sense to go further and ditch 32bit support completely. BUT (mind you, this is my honest opinion on this matter) only if you leave some room for us to somehow bridge the gap. What gap, you may wonder? The one between the OS where most of the original games were working 100% accurately, MS-DOS, hence not needing something like ScummVM to start with (though its enhacements *WOULD* had been welcome, indeed), and the first one where they did not but having official support by ScummVM, say Windows 98 (yeah... 95 is MS-DOS under the hood anyway hence compatible on its "MS-DOS Mode" AFAIK).

Having say this, any ETA on the return of Win9x builds? 2.8.1 maybe, which apparently is halfway there? Errr... pleaaase? :roll:
nozomi

Post by nozomi »

I'd love to see an update to this as well. One of the big difference between the WinXP and WIn9x builds is the inclusion of FLAC support. If Win9x is to be the future, would it be possible to include FLAC support?
Nfsfan83

Post by Nfsfan83 »

please bring back XP support !!! I am begging you :)