Grim Fandango controls

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

marnyanimal

Grim Fandango controls

Post by marnyanimal »

I have been trying to play Grim fandango via ScummVM on my Pixel 7.

The game loads fine, but when I take control of Manny after the intro cut-scene, I can't get him to move. I have tried the three different input methods, track-pad, mouse and on-screen controller, but nothing seems to work.

Is this a known issue or am I missing something? I've done some Googling to see if I can find any answers, but have drawn a blank.

Thanks
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Grim Fandango controls

Post by Praetorian »

marnyanimal wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:02 am I have been trying to play Grim fandango via ScummVM on my Pixel 7.

The game loads fine, but when I take control of Manny after the intro cut-scene, I can't get him to move. I have tried the three different input methods, track-pad, mouse and on-screen controller, but nothing seems to work.

Is this a known issue or am I missing something? I've done some Googling to see if I can find any answers, but have drawn a blank.

Thanks
The original Grim Fandango version currently supported by ScummVM does not feature mouse control yet as far as I know.
So you will either have to:
  • Use the gamepad emulation (so, not "touchpad emulation" and not "Direct mouse") control mode. This mode works by touch-and-drag your finger to a direction, at the two sides of the screen. While dragging your finger you should see some on-screen prompts of the action that will be performed. On the left side of the screen, you should see arrows and those can be used to control Manny's movement. On the right side of the screen, dragging the finger up is ""B" button and further up it's "Y". Dragging downwards it's "A" and further down it's "X". The names for the buttons are based on the classic Xbox gamepad layout. Left is "LS" (Left Stick press) and Right is "RS" (Right Stick press).
  • Bring up the virtual keyboard (long press on the control mode icon) and use the arrow keys to control movement and the rest of the hotkeys for the game should work too. This might be cumbersome to use though.
  • Use a connected physical keyboard.
  • Use a connected physical gamepad.
marnyanimal

Re: Grim Fandango controls

Post by marnyanimal »

Thank you!

That does the trick.

It's going to take a bit of getting used to!

Cheers.