Ultima 4 questions/issues

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LordStargazer

Ultima 4 questions/issues

Post by LordStargazer »

I recently looked into xu4 and noticed that a) it's code has been included into ScummVM and b) there's a NPC voice mod for it. I was wondering whether the xu4 code in ScummVM is the same as on the official xu4 GitHub page (https://github.com/xu4-engine/u4), and if mods work, where do I have to put the .mod files?

I also noticed while playing around with xu4 on ScummVM that Cheat mode seems to be constantly activated. Cheats are turned off in the settings, but when I press "g" for example, the "goto" cheat is activated instead of me being able to pick up items. The game is basically unplayable at this point. Is there something I can do to fix this? I had the same behavior in both the latest Win32 and RaspberryPi builds of ScummVM.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Re: Ultima 4 questions/issues

Post by dreammaster »

LordStargazer wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:19 pm I recently looked into xu4 and noticed that a) it's code has been included into ScummVM and b) there's a NPC voice mod for it. I was wondering whether the xu4 code in ScummVM is the same as on the official xu4 GitHub page (https://github.com/xu4-engine/u4), and if mods work, where do I have to put the .mod files?
I don't think so. Unfortunately, since xu4 was merged into ScummVM, another developer decided to start work on their own enhancements to the engine.. and despite knowing of it's presence in ScummVM, decided they'd prefer working on it as a standalone codebase. So now we have a situation of fragmented functionality were both codebases independantly have their own enhancements not present in the other.
LordStargazer wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:19 pm I also noticed while playing around with xu4 on ScummVM that Cheat mode seems to be constantly activated. Cheats are turned off in the settings, but when I press "g" for example, the "goto" cheat is activated instead of me being able to pick up items. The game is basically unplayable at this point. Is there something I can do to fix this? I had the same behavior in both the latest Win32 and RaspberryPi builds of ScummVM.
Hmm.. there may be something wrong with your keyboard. I just tested, and the Goto command, lilke other cheats, only activate when you hold down the Alt key and press a letter. So you need to do Alt+G to get Goto, and a normal G correctly gave me the Get Chest action. Or you've accidentally changed your keybindings. From the ScummVM launcher, click Game Options whilst the Ultima IV entry is selected, and click on the "Keymaps" tab. Scroll down through the list and find the Cheats section, and ensure Goto location is still bound to Alt+G. If it isn't, you could correct it. Or, worst case, you can alawys bind it to some random key you're not likely to use.
LordStargazer

Re: Ultima 4 questions/issues

Post by LordStargazer »

Thanks for your quick reply.

Regarding the keyboard issue: I'll look into it again. I am pretty sure I didn't actively change the keybindings, and I had the issue with different hardware, operating systems, and even various versions of Ultima 4. Weird.