Importing older save files

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Explorer_524

Importing older save files

Post by Explorer_524 »

Hello, I jumped on the testing bandwagon for Obsidian and got it running with all files intact, but I have never done a full game run with it. I have completed it before on my older Windows XP machine, but ScummVM doesn't seem to recognize the save files I brought over from that version. (I put them in a dedicated folder in the Obsidian directory and set the Save path as such).
Am I missing something?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Re: Importing older save files

Post by digitall »

digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

If these are older ScummVM savegame files, the saves may need to be renamed to match the expected game id. Easiest way to find that is just start a new game and save, then you can see what the savegames should be named. "Mileage may vary" on loading older savegames, especially when the engine was unstable / in development at the time, but the engine developers generally try to avoid breaking things unless unavoidable.
invwar

Post by invwar »

Many Engines massively changed and are not compatible anymore. So basically there is nothing you can do, but replay the game. The Switch happened I think with 1.0. My older WinXP Savegames are all from before 2009, some games still working, others not. As I know, going forward the team was much more careful to not break backward compatibility.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

invwar: Thanks, but that is not relevant to Obsidian which has only been present in nightly builds between 2.6.0 and (soon to be) 2.7.0...
OneEightHundred

Post by OneEightHundred »

ScummVM's save format for Obsidian is not compatible with saves from the original game, so importing saves from the original game is not possible.

Saves from the testing period are also mostly not compatible due to an oversight that prevented them from being forward-compatible. That oversight was fixed, so saves made in 2.7.0 should remain usable in the future even if the format changes again.