ScummVM 2.7.0: “The Real Slim Shader”

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rootfather
ScummVM Lead

ScummVM 2.7.0: “The Real Slim Shader”

Post by rootfather »

May I have your attention, please? May I have your attention, please?

We are proud to announce the first release of the year 2023. Please welcome ScummVM 2.7.0 – “The Real Slim Shader”.

New games
Once again, the number of available games increased substantially thanks to new engines, as well as incredible improvements across older engines.

With ScummVM 2.7.0, we officially announce support for the following games:
  • Soldier Boyz
  • Obsidian
  • Pink Panther: Passport to Peril
  • Pink Panther: Hokus Pokus Pink
  • Adibou 2 "Environment", "Read/Count 4 & 5" and "Read/Count 6 & 7"
  • Driller/Space Station Oblivion
  • Halls of the Dead: Faery Tale Adventure II
  • Chop Suey, Eastern Mind, and 16 other Director 3 and Director 4 titles

Improved support for Broken Sword series
We vastly improved the detection method used for the Broken Sword series as well. Compared to the old detection method, this allows a much higher level of granularity, so we are now able to detect even the slightest differences between all the supported versions. We tried our very best to add all available game versions, but we need your help. If you notice that your version of Broken Sword 1 or 2 is not properly detected in ScummVM 2.7.0, please get in touch with us and report your version to our Bug Tracker!

New localizations
One of our goals is to support as many localized game versions as possible, so people can enjoy the games in their native language. This time, we added support for the Chinese, Japanese and Korean versions of many games, including Beneath a Steel Sky, Inherit the Earth and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

New and revived platforms
Additionally, we proved ScummVM’s portability again by adding (or bringing back) support for numerous new platforms and devices:
  • RetroMini RS90 (using OpenDingux)
  • 1st generation Miyoo (New BittBoy, Pocket Go and PowKiddy Q90-V90-Q20) with TriForceX MiyooCFW
  • Miyoo Mini
  • KolibriOS
  • 26-bit versions of RISC OS
  • Nintendo 3DS
Of course, stable platforms deserve some love as well! We are very proud to announce that support for iOS and Android devices got vastly improved for 2.7.0! We don’t want to spoil everything that we have in mind for the future with these platforms, but stay tuned — it will be awesome.

Shader-based scalers
Ah, yes, the release codename. Glad you asked. The new release provides a way to run your games with visual accuracy like you've never seen before. Do you remember the warm glow of CRTs shining on your face? Get that experience back thanks to the introduction of shader-based scalers!

ScummVM 2.7.0 already ships with a curated set of shaders we carefully hand-picked from LibRetro’s shader collection. A more comprehensive set is available as an additional download from within the application itself.

Pre-defined random number seeds
Our speedrun community can now take advantage of a new feature that allows setting a predefined seed for ScummVM’s internal random number generator. Using a predefined seed now provides the ability to have reproducible runs over and over again. Pick a seed, set your route and you are good to go!

Check out the full Release Notes for a comprehensive summary of how our developers managed to create yet another amazing ScummVM release!

You can find all of this goodness available for a number of platforms on our downloads page. If you are using Windows, macOS, or either the Ubuntu Snap or Flatpack packages, the autoupdater will assist you in updating to ScummVM 2.7.0.

As always, thank you for your continued support and happy adventuring!
Giraffe

Re: ScummVM 2.7.0: “The Real Slim Shader”

Post by Giraffe »

So, still no fix for the aspect ratio bug in The Longest Journey... :(
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Giraffe wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:28 pm So, still no fix for the aspect ratio bug in The Longest Journey... :(
Are you referring to this bug: https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/13768
or some other issue?

According to that ticket, we have already included the code to fix it. So this is either a different issue, or a yet another regression. Or the fix didn't work.
If it is the same issue, please comment on that ticket with your feedback.
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

Great release, finally shaders without having to utilise Reshade. Now is a great time to replay MI 1+2 before diving into Return to Monkey Island. Thanks guys!
Aidor

Post by Aidor »

I've been playing a little with this 2.7.0 version in my Android device and it works really well. The best version so far for sure. Thanks for you work guys!!

Although I miss a few options. Mainly, the autoturn landscape orientation (which I thinks that Praetorian said it will be added), and maybe an option to choose 16:9 screen aspect ratio (even I've finally gotten used to the 'stretch to window' in my 21:9 device, and if a 16:9 option is added, I will keep playing at 21:9 fullscreen).
Nfsfan83

Post by Nfsfan83 »

Guys I love ScummVM version but I have problem with Broken Sword 1 I have UK 2CD version (on earlier version like 2.5.1 ScummVM works fine) and when I try play it: new game or load I have this:

The game in 'Broken Sword 1\' seems to be an unknown game variant.

Please report the following data to the ScummVM team at https://bugs.scummvm.org/ along with the name of the game you tried to add and its version, language, etc.:

Matched game IDs for the sword1 engine: sword1-demo-win

{"clusters/scripts.clu", 0, "72b10193714e8c6e4daca51791c0db0c", 1087240},
{"clusters/swordres.rif", 0, "31ea11161d5d2200b6b44a833b7d5aa8", 58916},
{"clusters/text.clu", 0, "7d9e47533fde5333dc310bfd73eaeb5c", 2666334},
{"smackshi/intro.smk", 0, "d82a7869ace8fcecaa519c04c4bfc483", 13233268},

Also I can't use any shader CRT with Moneky Island 2 game... TSOMI works fine.
szczuru

Post by szczuru »

Polish version of sword 1 and 2 are also not detected anymore (previously it was ok). For both i've created ticket in bugtracker.
Nfsfan83

Post by Nfsfan83 »

I have Broken Sword 1 UK 2CD version but yes I use polish language patch. Can it be a problem? Broken Sword 2 works fine. I have 2 CD polish version.
szczuru

Post by szczuru »

I'm also using polish fanmade translations and both (sword 1 and 2) are working on 2.6.1 (and till 2.6.1...). But as OP wrote:
Improved support for Broken Sword series
We vastly improved the detection method used for the Broken Sword series as well. Compared to the old detection method, this allows a much higher level of granularity, so we are now able to detect even the slightest differences between all the supported versions. We tried our very best to add all available game versions, but we need your help. If you notice that your version of Broken Sword 1 or 2 is not properly detected in ScummVM 2.7.0, please get in touch with us and report your version to our Bug Tracker!
So something broke detection of already playable versions or previous detection method was more "indulgent" and because of that all modified versions must be added now to detection tables separately.
Nfsfan83

Post by Nfsfan83 »

One more thing , CRT Shaders are great but anyone dosen't work with MONKEY ISLAND 2 !!!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Nfsfan83 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:47 pm One more thing , CRT Shaders are great but anyone dosen't work with MONKEY ISLAND 2 !!!
I don't think that's right. Are you sure you are not using SDL Surface for that game? Maybe you have overridden global settings for the game?
Nfsfan83

Post by Nfsfan83 »

Praetorian THANK YOU !!! I set CRT Mattias in game options not global options and WORKS FINE :) other games just I set in global options.
nozomi

Post by nozomi »

I have the 2CD US relase of Broken Sword 2. With the 2.7.0 release and the March 31st 2.8.0 GIT, I am unable to get ScummVM to properly detect the game.

Everytime I add the game, using the wiki instructions, ScummVM detects it as the DEMO of Broken Sword 2. This cause the game to not run properly. It starts, and plays the intro, but the game begins as the DEMO should, at the docks, Not as the game should, tied to a chair in the mansion.

I have no trouble with previous 2.6.x relases.

Am I missing a step in in copying he files from the CD's? I rename the Speech and Music files per the wiki and have tried keeping the folder structure, but it's always detected as the DEMO.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

nozomi wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:21 pm I have the 2CD US relase of Broken Sword 2. With the 2.7.0 release and the March 31st 2.8.0 GIT, I am unable to get ScummVM to properly detect the game.
Please try the daily build. There were improvements. to it. As this very topic states,
We tried our very best to add all available game versions, but we need your help. If you notice that your version of Broken Sword 1 or 2 is not properly detected in ScummVM 2.7.0, please get in touch with us and report your version to our Bug Tracker!

Eugene
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

nozomi wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:21 pm Am I missing a step in in copying he files from the CD's? I rename the Speech and Music files per the wiki and have tried keeping the folder structure, but it's always detected as the DEMO.
As sev suggested make sure you're testing with a recent daily build.
Also, according to the wiki instructions you need to copy the required files in a flat directory (and rename the speech and music ones). This means not keeping the folder structure. Edit: Apparently, this is no longer the required case (see sev's following post).

Looking at GOG's installation of the game, they also follow this (all required data files in one flat folder, speech1.clu and speech2.clu named files, Music1.clu and Music2.clu named files). It seems very likely they also worked with the US 2 CD release. This GOG installation is detected by ScummVM (just re-tested to confirm).