Broken Sword 2.5 on IOS

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jerzy

Broken Sword 2.5 on IOS

Post by jerzy »

Greetings fellowship,

Still trying to understand why Broken Sword 2.5 don't want to work on iOS.

In versions 1.8.0 - 2.5.0 it's mentioning "Could not initialize color format" (both on packed and extracted versions, with speech package and patch, and without them)

In versions 2.5.1-2.6.1 it's mentioning "No engine to launch".

I assume that it's a knowing issue and engine was utilized, but if you can share your suggestions or even solution regarding it, I would be very pleasant.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Broken Sword 2.5 on IOS

Post by criezy »

This is indeed a known issue, due to a limitation of ScummVM on iOS: currently it only supports games that use a color palette (8 bit colors) or that use 16 bit colors. However the Broken Sword 2.5 game uses 32 bit colors, and thus doesn't currently work on iOS. There are a few other games with the same issue.

So unfortunately there is no way currently to play Broken Sword 2.5 on iOS. We need a developer to update our iOS code to add support for 32 bit colors, but finding developers with the skills, time, and motivation to contribute to the ScummVM iOS backend has proven difficult. So I have no idea when that will be fixed.
jerzy

Post by jerzy »

Criezy, thanks for reaching out and letting me know.

Despite it's a knowing issues for five years and counting, I hope that you will find a right person in 3.0 or 4.0 builds :D
larsman

Post by larsman »

We actually got it working in the 2.7.0 release.
So feel free to start playing BS 2.5 (or 11th hour) on 2.7.0 with support for mouses and game controllers
jerzy

Post by jerzy »

larsman wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:53 pm We actually got it working in the 2.7.0 release.
So feel free to start playing BS 2.5 (or 11th hour) on 2.7.0 with support for mouses and game controllers
That's an awesome news. Will test both on iPad3 as soon as finish Larry 6 :D
jerzy

Post by jerzy »

Game is tested and fully playable till the end without any bugs (do it today).

Fantastic job, team! Kudos for everyone involved.