Is it Possible to have 2 versions installed on Android

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tservo

Is it Possible to have 2 versions installed on Android

Post by tservo »

I am wondering if i can have both ver 2.6.0 and a daily built installed at the same time in android. In case the daily built messes things up testing new games i can still use ver 2.60 as it works great.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Is it Possible to have 2 versions installed on Android

Post by Praetorian »

tservo wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:50 am I am wondering if i can have both ver 2.6.0 and a daily built installed at the same time in android. In case the daily built messes things up testing new games i can still use ver 2.60 as it works great.
Hello, currently this is not possible. Both developer (daily) and release builds have the same application id which prevents them from being installed side to side, even though they are signed with different keys (debug key vs release key).

I do find it at least an interesting idea to have separate application ids for these builds (developer vs release); however, this approach would:
- Break existing upgrade compatibility of new developer builds with older developer builds.
- Require a adjusted / different name for the developer built app (eg. "ScummVM daily") and of course the different application id, which mean that our build process would have to be changed (albeit slightly) to support this. Introducing such extra complexity to that process is something that should be considered very carefully.
tservo

Re: Is it Possible to have 2 versions installed on Android

Post by tservo »

That makes sense, thank you for the explanation.