Download SAGA engine for DOS?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GusCE6

Download SAGA engine for DOS?

Post by GusCE6 »

This is an unusual request- I'm thinking of creating a SAGA-DOS version of "Foxtail," if Gingertips will allow it.

AGS is easy but the resolution is a bit too incompatible for the game.

So can anyone link me to where one can get something to decompile the main file in the game, and get the SAGA engine? Instructions would be nice.

This is NOT a rip-off effort. It is to be a donation- assuming it ever gets off the ground (ha ha)- for Gingertips to broaden their potential customer base and make some extra money given what has been happening in the Ukraine. Any successful effort will be sent to them and only them, to do (or not do) as they wish.

Because what the heck. It's a kind of donation. Getting anywhere with SCUMMVM itself seems beyond my current abilities and adding that Unity engine isn't happening so this way- possibly within my limits- would be.

Thanks.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Download SAGA engine for DOS?

Post by sev »

I see a post full of confusion. Why SAGA? That engine was used for Inherit the Earth, and I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream.

Most probably you're thinking about Wintermute engine, the one, Foxtail was originally built on.

Second. Why DOS? The game was never working on DOS, and I doubt it could work well there because of the graphics resolution.

And finally, all the engine sources for ScummVM are freely available. Grab them from https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm.

Eugene
GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

I know "Foxtail" used the Wintermute engine. It's right there in the opening screens for "Foxtail" Chapters 1-3.

My post indicated that I want to create a DOS version of "Foxtail." The Wintermute engine does not allow for this- or does it? Is there a DOS Wintermute engine?

Since "Inherit the Earth" IS a DOS game then whatever was used to create it can clearly create a DOS version of "Foxtail." Given the way "ITE" is so close to "Foxtail" in appearance and sound- a fan image had Leah standing in the "ITE" world and it blended perfectly- that would be the way to go for a version almost anything out there can run. It would be part hobby, part donation (strictly for Gingertips' use and distribution), part effort for poor people with older systems. Since future chapters of "Foxtail" will use the (phooey) Unity engine and SCUMMVM won't deal with Unity-based games people with older systems will be out of luck. My DOS version would cover that since just about anything out there can play DOS games, including "ITE." If programming on that SAGA engine is not much more difficult than AGS 231 then it would be within my current abilities.

I KNOW "Foxtail" doesn't run on DOS for crying out loud, that's the whole point of my version. It won't be a 100% clone of Gingertips' Unity version but it should be very close, assuming Gingertips is willing to trust me and send the sound and image files. Let's see, you would like to play "Foxtail" but you're stuck with an older device and cannot play the Unity version...you have nothing. You find out there is a DOS version which is rather close and it does work. SO- you can either have...nothing or...my version. What would be your choice?

AGS 231 is easy to use overall but the limited resolutions are not really compatible with "Foxtail" screens. Is that what you meant?

I need the actual programming engine, hopefully with some instructions. I checked your link and cannot find it.
Last edited by GusCE6 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kasenshlogga

Post by Kasenshlogga »

GusCE6 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:05 pmLet's see, you would like to play "Foxtail" but you're stuck with an older device and cannot play the Unity version...you have nothing. You find out there is a DOS version which is rather close and it does work. SO- you can either have...nothing or...my version. What would be your choice?
I wonder which devices are so weak that they can't run simple pixelart Unity engine games? I know of places where people can literally pick up computers that are like 10 years old (or newer) with Intel integrated graphics, more than capable enough for free. No offense but this whole endeavour seems kinda silly to me.
GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

Kasenshlogga wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:21 pm
GusCE6 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:05 pmLet's see, you would like to play "Foxtail" but you're stuck with an older device and cannot play the Unity version...you have nothing. You find out there is a DOS version which is rather close and it does work. SO- you can either have...nothing or...my version. What would be your choice?
I wonder which devices are so weak that they can't run simple pixelart Unity engine games? I know of places where people can literally pick up computers that are like 10 years old (or newer) with Intel integrated graphics, more than capable enough for free. No offense but this whole endeavour seems kinda silly to me.

Unity is rather quirky. It's been mentioned here that there are many variations for it.

DOS is about as universal as is possible. Even my crummy Windows CE6 netbook can run it. And there are people stuck with computers that are really antiques.

It would also be practice for me. If I can pull this off then there are other projects I could do which are designed to sell.

It is also based on mathematical logic. Any game will have a population who would like to buy and play it. That is your potential customer base. The bigger the percentage of that population ABLE to play that game then the bigger your realistic customer base is. If a "parallel" version exists that just about anyone can play then the only question becomes "how many people want this game." That means more $$$ mula dinero bucks dough $$$$ which the programmers, being in the Ukraine, could certainly use- mobility, food, medicine, shelter, etc. Every bit will help.