How to play Backyard Baseball?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jgratz

How to play Backyard Baseball?

Post by jgratz »

So I have posted here before. I had been looking to play Backyard Baseball 1997, and had found out that ScummVM was the best way to do it. Then I had found files online that claimed to work with ScummVM. Then, I downloaded ScummVM and uploaded the files to it, and the game actually showed up on the list! Then, I clicked on the game, and it opened!

But there was a problem. While I could navigate around to the intro sequence, the trophy case, the player cards, the pick-up window, the league play sign-in, and I could even create teams, there were three things I could not do. I could not hear any of the players talking (although their words did show up on the screen as text), I could not hear any music (during the intro or the game), and the big one: I could not actually play a game of baseball. Every time I clicked the "Play now" or "Today's game" button, the game crashed.

So I made a post here explaining all of this. The only problem is, that I did not know at the time, that the website I had downloaded from was somewhat... less than legal. As a result my post was deleted. I am now at a loss as to what to do next.

So. Users of ScummVM. I ask you this one question. HOW do I use this software to play Backyard Baseball?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: How to play Backyard Baseball?

Post by Raziel »

Then I had found files online that claimed to work with ScummVM. Then, I downloaded ScummVM and uploaded the files to it...
Still forum rule 0
TheBigCore

Post by TheBigCore »

Raziel wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:59 am
Then I had found files online that claimed to work with ScummVM. Then, I downloaded ScummVM and uploaded the files to it...
Still forum rule 0
That game does not appear to be sold on any online stores at the moment, unless someone on the forums can enlighten us on that matter.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Yes, but there are various copies on the normal secondhand resellers i.e. https://www.ebay.com/itm/234550150018

Apart from the reasons given on Forum Rule #0 and the Copyright FAQ, we don't support random downloaded versions as they often have corrupted / truncated datafiles
which cause very odd bugs wasting a fair amount of developer time.
jgratz

Post by jgratz »

digitall wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:42 pm Yes, but there are various copies on the normal secondhand resellers i.e. https://www.ebay.com/itm/234550150018

Apart from the reasons given on Forum Rule #0 and the Copyright FAQ, we don't support random downloaded versions as they often have corrupted / truncated datafiles
which cause very odd bugs wasting a fair amount of developer time.
Thank you for your reply.

I do not intend to use the file I had initially downloaded BECAUSE of the weird bug. I just want to, you know, actually play the game. I don't care how I get to that point.

I will look into the ebay link you provided.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

jgratz wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:26 am
I do not intend to use the file I had initially downloaded BECAUSE of the weird bug. I just want to, you know, actually play the game. I don't care how I get to that point.
moderatorial: But we DO care. You are hurting the project. Locking the topic and putting a permaban for repeated violation of the Forum Rule #0.