Monkey Island VGA CD Version - No Music

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Bolzgramm

Monkey Island VGA CD Version - No Music

Post by Bolzgramm »

Hi there,

I've got trouble getting the music playing in the enhanced VGA CD Version of Monkey Island.
I followed all the instructions I found in the internet and ripped the audio tracks from the original CD and converted them into FLACS using cdex.
I also guaranteed that I adjusted the track offset to "-1", so that the audio tracks are named correctly since track 1 actually is a datatrack and no audio.
Affter that I copied all the tracks into the Monkey Island folder and made sure that all the filenames are correct i.e. track1, track2 and so on
without a file extension as this is already attached to the file but hidden (track1.FLAC would be the full name).
When I now start running ScummVM I still get the message "Failed to query the CD TOC: 21" and the music won't play in the game.
I thought that ripping and converting the original tracks should prevent this error, but obviously not.
Is there one thing that's still missing?

Thanks for your help

Sönke
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Monkey Island VGA CD Version - No Music

Post by Praetorian »

Please clarify some things for us:
Which version of ScummVM are you using and on which platform/OS?
Can you provide a screenshot with the Monkey Island data folder contents as they are now (please enable showing the actual file extensions from your settings).

The official instructions for the process are described here btw:
https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/use_ ... l#cd-audio
Bolzgramm

Post by Bolzgramm »

I'm using ScummVM 2.6 on my Windows PC.
In the screenshot you can see the MI folder.
It continues to track 24.
In screenshot 2 you can see the error message that pops up.
Folder.jpg
Folder.jpg (196.71 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
Attachments
Message.jpg
Message.jpg (43.04 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Bolzgramm wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:07 pm I'm using ScummVM 2.6 on my Windows PC.
In the screenshot you can see the MI folder.
It continues to track 24.
In screenshot 2 you can see the error message that pops up.

Folder.jpg
I am certain that the "Failed to query the CD TOC: 21" log message is normal, even though it sounds like some error. I have music with flac files for Monkey Island VGA CD version (CD/DOS/English) on Windows 10 with ScummVM 2.6.0 and still get that message.

For this version of the game, ScummVM will pop-up a message when launching the game if it has found no extracted audio files:
scummvm-monkey-00001.png
scummvm-monkey-00001.png (35.09 KiB) Viewed 1445 times
If you don't get that popup message (in your GUI language) then ScummVM did find audio files.

So, my guess would be to check the music volume from the game options (in the ScummVM launcher select the game entry -> "Game Options..." -> "Volume" tab).

Edit: The first track that the game will play, the intro track that is, is track17.flac (or track_17.flac, both naming schemes are supported). Can you play that with your external audio player (eg. VLC or whatnot)?

Otherwise some more debugging info may be required, ie. run your ScummVM from command line like this and report the output:

Code: Select all

.\scummvm.exe -d2
Bolzgramm

Post by Bolzgramm »

Edit: The first track that the game will play, the intro track that is, is track17.flac (or track_17.flac, both naming schemes are supported). Can you play that with your external audio player (eg. VLC or whatnot)?

Hmm. That might be the problem.
The length of some of the tunes is 0.00min.
I didn't check that before.
And so VLC doesn't play them as well.
I think I will rip the tunes again and make sure, they have all the correct lenghts.
tracks.jpg
tracks.jpg (36.45 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
Bolzgramm

Post by Bolzgramm »

Hmm. That might be the problem.

That WAS the problem.
Now everything works fine!
Thanks for your help.