Editing scummvm.ini externally

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sdtfgbwrevw

Editing scummvm.ini externally

Post by sdtfgbwrevw »

I tried the methods in this thread but they both don't work anymore. Is there any other hidden and/or new method to be able to edit scummvm.ini on Android?

The file scummvm.ini can't be uploaded directly because it already exists,
and the file scummvmrc just gets deleted after starting ScummVM.

OR alternatively: Is there a way to better specify which game is in a certain folder? For example by putting a special file into it?
I'd just like to be able to mass import games and have their description value, language and exact game id/variant customized/specified without any user interaction.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Editing scummvm.ini externally

Post by Praetorian »

sdtfgbwrevw wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:31 pm I tried the methods in this thread but they both don't work anymore. Is there any other hidden and/or new method to be able to edit scummvm.ini on Android?

The file scummvm.ini can't be uploaded directly because it already exists,
and the file scummvmrc just gets deleted after starting ScummVM.

OR alternatively: Is there a way to better specify which game is in a certain folder? For example by putting a special file into it?
I'd just like to be able to mass import games and have their description value, language and exact game id/variant customized/specified without any user interaction.
Hello, could you clarify for us:
- Which version of ScummVM are you testing with, and on which Android OS?

I've just tried on Android ScummVM 2.6.0 on a Android 11 device, with the LAN method (setting the root folder to be inside the "ScummVM data (int)/" (ie. clicking on this shortcut, and then clicking on "Choose"; this folder has many distribution files, like AUTHORS, COPYING, access.dat, achievements.dat, ... etc. including the "scummvm.ini" file which will be available to download it and view its contents).

Re-uploading the edited scummvm.ini file back to the directory via the LAN server will not work, and that's where the scummvmrc method comes into play. However, it's best to edit the previously downloaded version of scummvm.ini rather than a completely custom one, so that you'll get a sense about valid paths and configuration keys.

The scummvmrc way should work, as long as you set an increased version number value for the "versioninfo" field in the file. So, if it was 2.6.0, try 2.6.1 in the new edited version.

Since the scummvmrc gets deleted, that actually is a good thing. It means that, upon launch, ScummVM app found it, parsed it and decided whether to use it to replace the existing configuration file or discard it (the version number is one of the criteria here), It gets deleted so that it won't be re-checked and won't be accidentally re-used to replace a more recently edited config or confuse the user about which is the actually "active" configuraton file.

I don't have a ready-to-go solution for your specific use-case scenario. Your way (editing the scummvm.ini and re-uploading it) is what I would try for this purpose.
sdtfgbwrevw

Post by sdtfgbwrevw »

The scummvmrc way should work, as long as you set an increased version number value for the "versioninfo" field in the file. So, if it was 2.6.0, try 2.6.1 in the new edited version.
Oh my god, that did it! :) Should've tried it myself to be honest. Thank you!

Oh, and it was version 2.6.0 on Android 12.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

sdtfgbwrevw wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:25 pm
Oh my god, that did it! :) Should've tried it myself to be honest. Thank you!

Oh, and it was version 2.6.0 on Android 12.
Thank you for confirming that this way still works! :)